Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
Windrider
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I know that some of the potions in the game are very helpful, healing, strength, speed, and such, but what about things like "clarity of thought", "Genius" and others like this. Are they really helpful or just good trading fodder?

On a side note, I got HoW and in the first hour of playing with it installed I found two of the new mage spells and one priest chant. I really like the "Alt" hot key though, it saves a lot of searching. Finished with the "Severed Hand" and am starting "Dorn's Deep".
Windrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Windrider:
I know that some of the potions in the game are very helpful, healing, strength, speed, and such, but what about things like "clarity of thought", "Genius" and others like this. Are they really helpful or just good trading fodder?

depends on who you have in your party. Clarity of thought is useful, especially if you dont have clerics with "mind blank", as it protects you from spells like charm and confusion.
Genius is useful to temporarily raise INT of mages to have better chance of scribing scrolls and be able to put more spells in your spellbook (those spells are pernament even after duration of potion runs out).

If you think a potion would have no use sell it, you can always rebuy it later should you need it.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

When they aren't directly useful in combat, they usually have another use. The potions of genius are INVALUABLE for scroll memorization - unless you prefer to reload until you memorize successfully. As does any intelligence boost.

As for 'clarity of thought'...what's that one's effects, exactly. I can't quite remember.

In any case, a temporary raise to any of the attributes is a boon...with the possible exception of Wisdom, which as far as I know has no practical reason for a temporary boost.
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Swan Gauntlet:
In any case, a temporary raise to any of the attributes is a boon...with the possible exception of Wisdom, which as far as I know has no practical reason for a temporary boost.
hmmm... how about increase in lore? Also aren't some dialogues wisdom dependent?
Old 05-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

Well, "as far as I know" seems to be a remarkably short distance... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Two uses for potions of genius. First, to increase the chance to learn spells. Second, to increase lore - really, using genius potions to increase lore is just a convenience, as the identify spell will ID anything.

Obviously, the stat-increasing potions are more valuable if you have low stats. Some parties will need potions of genius, strength, agility, fortitude, etc for spell learning and combat effectiveness, and some parties with better stats can just sell those potions.

I don't think that any dialogues are Wis-dependent, and since the effects don't last long, the Wis potions don't give a spell memorization advantage. Other than temporarily increasing lore, there's really no purpose to them.

DON'T sell your potions of clarity. They are critical for a later portion of the game. I can spoil you as to the area if you want.

In general, I don't use many potions and I tend to sell more than I keep. Hold onto potions of extra-healing, antidotes (or elixir of health), mummy's tea, magic shielding, giant strength, clarity, absorbtion, invisibility, and whatever offensive potions you think you might need (potions of explosions, fiery burning, firebreath, speed).

I always sell potions of infravision, insulation, defence, stone form, perception, and mirrored eyes. If you have too many duplicates (e.g. of heroism or fire resistance), don't be afraid to sell some of those too. If you can fill 3 potion bags, you can safely sell some.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Potion of Defense are useful. They easily grant AC0 to non-Warriors such as Mages and Thieves. It's basically giving them a Full Plate Mail +1 for 10 turns( minus the armor bonuses).
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote