Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have a little side-job going where I make DVDs from VHS of friends and their friends of such things as their wedding videos or birthdays or whatever. I also film videos of birthdays and weddings for those that ask, and then make those into DVDs.

I have been making VHS into DVD with no trouble, using "Monster" brand cables to connect the DVD burner to the TV. That would be component audio and S-Video.

A couple weeks ago was my first live recording with my digital camera. I connected the camera to the computer and moved it over, and then began editing out the unwanted material and adding a music track. Then I converted that file into an .avi.

The video plays great on my computer...BUT

when burning it to my external DVD burner, the feed is choppy. Not so bad that it is horrible, but choppy enough to be annoying.

Here's the question:

I can think of only two things that might help improve the quality of the video when it is being burned.

1. Buy an internal DVD burner for the PC
2. Buy a "Monster" brand USB cord.

Can anyone tell me if one or the other will actually work?
If not, then is there a third option?

[ 05-26-2006, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 05-26-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Zebodog

I'm by no means an expert...

I think the .avi codec may be unsuitable for a dvd (try MPEG)?
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quoting from the software that made the file, it says that:

avi is recommended for DV output with 12-bit audio.

mpeg1 is a compressed file which is videoCD compatible.

asf (WMP) is perfect for streaming data to a network or uploading to the internet.

asf (SD-Video) is an mpeg4 format, that may not be compatible with some devices.

Should I choose something other than avi?

[ 05-26-2006, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 05-26-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah avi is fine. I have a feeling it is the cord. Something slightly similiar happend me with a webcam cord I had and then replaced. Beforehand, the feed was choppy and sometimes even appeared upside down. I later replaced the cam and cord though so I can't say for sure which one it was.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Can you try a slower burn speed?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I think it may recommend .avi due the way that MPEG compresses, recording the changes from frame to frame, instead of full frames. .avi is the whole file, I believe, which is why it's such a huge file for about 20 seconds of video.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Can you try a slower burn speed?
Good thinking. I actually did try that. When I slowed it down and recorded, the video was so choppy that it actually stopped working. The only one that was working well enough to actually watch with mild irritation was the one that was recorded at a higher speed than the slowest...but I cannot remember what that was now.

I made 5 copies, all recorded at different speeds or other tweaks to the burning process. Only two of 5 actually survived.

I think I will order a USB cable from Monster and see if that works, which is the cheapest solution. If that does not work, then I will be buying an internal burner. If that does not work, at least I'll have some cool new stuff.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

By external DVD burner, do you mean one of those that goes on the TV and does not require a computer, or you mean a traditional drive that is external and depend on the computer?

If it's a computer one, I'd change your burning/encoding software, in my opinion your software is doing a bad job of converting the avi into dvd format.

I've seen programs that are used exclusively to convert avi files to dvd, maybe you should try that.

[ 05-27-2006, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 05-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes, there are such prgrams on Cnet available for evaluation trials before you buy. Give 'em a shot.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The problem has been resolved!

It was the software, Nero v4. I got the hint from a guy in the computer parts store (in line behind me) that does the same thing I do with selling his services of converting VHS to DVD. He told me that he had the same problem and that it was Nero 4's fault, and if I updgraded there would be no issue.

He was right! There is no longer an issue!

FYI for Luvian, I have the Sony DVDirect VC10. It is made for the three functions of burning from TV, PC, and camcorder. My bad luck was that it will only make DVD+R from the TV. The VC20 that came out one month after can record in either + or - R, which is what I want.