Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2002, 07:20 PM   #1
Deathcow
Elminster

since bg2 has been out so long, i dont know if this is really a new idea or not...but it is to me [img]smile.gif[/img]

i just checked, its possible to dual a wizard slayer to a mage...i want to dual a wizard slayer to a mage to get a mage with 100% magic resistance, that sounds really powerful

my idea is to dual wield 2 weapons that give +%magic resist, i think i can find 2 weapons that give +10% each, and with the +10% amulet you get from the elf queen, and +10% from the robe of vecna, thats 40% right there...so id need 60% from being a wizard slayer before dual classing...now that i really think about it, thats a lot...can i use any other +%magic resistance items, being a wizard slayer?

to get 60% magic resistance, by counting on my fingers, i think i would need to be lvl32 before i could dual class...thats pretty high, but oh well (im using the exp cap remover). has anyone ever done this before? he'll also have mucho life [img]smile.gif[/img] started with 163 at lvl18 in ToB, and it should be a lot more at lvl32...ill use shadow keeper and be back in a little while to post results

oh, and one more thing...what do you think my race should be for this? keeping in mind class and dual class restrictions...im testing with human so i dont have to think too hard right now
Deathcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 08:51 PM   #2
Deathcow
Elminster

back with some updates:

this is a human with 18/79str, 18dext, 18con, and 18int...4wisdom and 3charisma...magic resistance and being evil mean these shouldnt be a problem at all [img]smile.gif[/img]

i got 60% magic resist from being a lvl32 wizard slayer, and got +30% magic resist from the Sword of Balduran (+10% long sword), Hindo's Doom +4 (+10% katana), and the Amulet of Seldarine (+10%)....and i was expecting i'd get the last 10% i needed from the robe of vecna...buuuut i could only wear ARMOR, not mage robes

i tried everything i could think of...there were some magic resistant armors, but then i wouldn't be able to cast spells...and there are NO magic resistant helmets at all, which really bothers me!!! so im stuck at 90% magic resist...i suppose i could go to lvl36 wizard slayer before dualling to get 72% magic resist, and THEN dual to have 102% magic resist total... thats a lot more work, i hope i can find enough monsters to kill to actually make this work! looks like i need about 15 million exp...sheesh

im going to play with shadowkeeper some more to see how that works and post more results

EDIT: my life at lvl32 wizard slayer/lvl33 mage was 206 [img]smile.gif[/img] thats a lot

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: Deathcow ]

Old 02-17-2002, 09:27 PM   #3
Deathcow
Elminster

this is possible to do, but it would take endless hours of powergaming

FINAL RESULTS: lvl36 wizard slayer/lvl37 mage, life 218, magic resist 102...17,125,000 exp!!!

dual wielding sword of balduran and hindo's doom+4 katana, wearing amulet of seldarine, and aslyferund elven chain+5 -->immune to normal weapons, ac 0, and can still cast spells...it put my ac to -6 total

although it was fun being a mage with over 100% magic resist, it sucks that making this character without cheating isnt worth the trouble...if i want lots of magic resistance, i'll make a paladin and pick up carsomyr.... monks get magic resist easier than wizard slayers! poor wizard slayers...

now i know why i haven't read about this dual class before [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2002, 11:22 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

You never hear about the Wizard Slayer much because it's THE worst kit in the game. Not being able to wear magic rings, amulets, helms, shields, bets? Come on! To quote Xan, from BG1, "We should all save our effort and just lie down and DIE."

That's why the only Wizard Slayers you hear from are those who made a Wizard Slayer->Thief, and then did Use Any Item to wear all that magic gear again. Cheesy, sure, but for a lot of folks, it's the only thing that makes Wizard Slayers even playable, and that's what matters. I mean, before ToB, Wizard Slayers couldn't even use Healing Potions, for God's sake!
Old 02-20-2002, 02:09 AM   #5
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

my pc kit:

Ninja of the Scorpion

must be human, elf, half-elf.

i use an elven fighter/mage/thief. the class is a fighter/thief kit. it allows the use of poisons like the assassin, and also gives the ability to go invisible (as the spell) once per day, for every three levels. can specialize in any weapons allowed to a thief. they can only wear light armor, ie. leather, hide, studded leather, or elven chainmail. can put two slots in one weapon style, and three in two weapon fighting.

CANNOT learn any missle weapons aside from shortbow, and can only be proficient in its use, but still recieves a -2 penalty. they can use thrown daggers however. they only get 20 points for thief skills per level. this is do to thier extensive use in fighting.

i made one of these and used shadow keeper to give him poison weapons like the assassin. i also gave him invisibility as an innate ability, and took away all others aside from draw upon holy might, and cure light wounds. i also gave him the appearance of a shadow thief, like Renal BloodScalp. i used an elven fighter/mage/thief, so i get the best of three worlds. i also took the experience cap off, so eventually he will be level 50/50/50!!!! then i will retire him, lol. as is, he is a mean bastard. im soloing him, and having a pretty easy time. of course i know what to expect half of the time, so i can prepare for it, but i like this character. combat in the beginning was a bit difficult, but then as i progressed a bit, and gained two or so levels, things got easier. hell, i had over a million gold right as i started chapter two!! yes it was cheese, but legit. the black market thief is the key...........

what do you guys think? too powerful? i didnt think so, since i took alot away, and only gave a couple of abilities. i think its just the way i play it that makes it so easy.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Morgan_Corbesant ]

Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 09:19 AM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
You never hear about the Wizard Slayer much because it's THE worst kit in the game. Not being able to wear magic rings, amulets, helms, shields, bets? Come on! To quote Xan, from BG1, "We should all save our effort and just lie down and DIE."

That's why the only Wizard Slayers you hear from are those who made a Wizard Slayer->Thief, and then did Use Any Item to wear all that magic gear again. Cheesy, sure, but for a lot of folks, it's the only thing that makes Wizard Slayers even playable, and that's what matters. I mean, before ToB, Wizard Slayers couldn't even use Healing Potions, for God's sake!

I'll have to disagree with you on the Wizard Slayer kit. That's what I'm playing and I have a pretty easy time of it. I'm using my fighter from BGI and he kicks butt pretty easily. I always send him at any spellcaster we face and he usually makes short work of them.

I DID add some "non-standard" items to his inventory from Arundor's Adobe. I gave him Charon's gloves and sword. The sword doesn't work that well, but the gloves turn any spell below 6th level back onto the caster!!! (Just have to remember to take them off when I need to be healed).

The only other item I gave him is a 2-hand sword called Sihn's Soulreaver....it has a 75% chance PER HIT to cause the victim to save vs magic or die (geez....who needs a vorpal...they only work 25% of the time).

AFA the magical restrictions...I rarely use any potions besides Healing on anyone in the party...and I just give the powerful items he can't use (like Ring of Gaxx) to one of the other members to give him some good back-up.

BTW, I have NO intention of "dualing" him over to a thief (at least not on my first trip through, anyway). He will remain a straight fighter until he completes ToB and mounts Demagorgon's head over the mantle at D'Arnise keep.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:50 AM   #7
Meanal
Dungeon Master

The Wizard Slayer is not the Crapist kit i am not an expert at this game but i have tried every single character and so far the best for me has been The Wizard Slayer, there spell disruption is excellent!!! Imagine being a magic user that cant cast magic thats how brilliant The Wizard Slayer is.

But not being a expert i need someone to tell me whats the best out of the crossbow light/heavy and the short/long crossbow and whats the differance
Old 02-20-2002, 10:19 AM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Greetings Meanal

Glad to see somebody else likes the Wizard Slayer kit too.

Now, for your question about crossbows.

The main difference between a light crossbow and a heavy crossbow is the Rate of Fire. A light crossbow can fire 1 bolt per round, but a heavy crossbow can only fire 1 bolt every OTHER round. The heavy crossbow will have a longer range (you can hit enemies farther away) and it MAY do a little more damage, but not enough to compensate for the lower rate of fire (IMHO). Of course, there are a couple of really NICE heavy crossbow's in Waukeen's Promenade. One requires a Str of 19 but gives +3 to dmg.

AFA long vs short - that applies to BOWS, not crossbows. The only difference is the physical size and the range the bows can fire. Obviously, a long bow can shoot farther than a short bow. But that is the ONLY difference. The rate of fire and damage done are equal for both varieties (AFAIK anyway).

Once again, though, most magical bows are longbows, so you might want to keep that in mind.

Hope that helps some.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:58 AM   #9
Faceman
Hathor

You want a wizard slayer - I give you a wizard slayer:
Mighty Mazzy "Machinegun" Fentan.
For some reason the Gesen Bow seems to penetrate any kind of magical
shielding with its extra lightning damage. And even if it does no damage it interrupts casting. Now we all know how fast our little
halfling lass is at firing Short bows. I have so far slaughtered every
Lich (including Shangalar and the first form of Kangaxx) that way without taking serious damage.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:17 PM   #10
Meanal
Dungeon Master

Finally, well i some times post here and i have never heard of someone that actuly likes the Wizard Slayer. Oh and by the
way "SixofSpades" Wizard Slayers can use shields and helmets, correct me if i am wrong here but it says that you can not use any magical items apart from weapons an armour in the kit description and if helmets and shields are not armour well i dont know what is.

By the way did i mention that the magical resistance is also mega excellent