Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2001, 03:39 PM   #1
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Well, im gonna play a 3 member party online (including ToB, which i havent still played) with a ranger/cleric (me), a fighter thief and a conjurer. My questions about the ranger cleric setup are:

1.- is better dual or multi ?
2.- dual wield or weapon + shield ?

My preferences are on dualing (to get a higher level as cleric) and weapon+shield style (id say i will put my first proficiencies in flail and mace)

thanks

------------------
"I miss the Angel... and I mean that I REALLY miss her" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Old 08-13-2001, 04:59 PM   #2
Thrawn
The Magister

i dualed at 13 and its going great, the druid spells iron skin roxor along with call lighting, it hurts a lot but unfortualy not many stuff are outdoor but it does help on some outdoor battles.

dual wield all the way, get the rune hammer, and fail of ages with all 5 heads and you will have a serious ouchy on ur hand
Old 08-13-2001, 05:07 PM   #3
Darkon Blackblood
The Magister

5 heads i thought it was 3
Old 08-13-2001, 05:56 PM   #4
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

i think the other 2 have been spoiled without warning it, i suppose theyre from ToB, as well as that rune hammer. id like help telling me whether there are enough good weapons to dual wield and if they´re worth the AC lose for not using shield (i will be the tank of the party so thats why i thought id wear shield), but please dont spoil weapons ok ?

please warn when spoiling !

thanks

------------------
"I miss the Angel... and I mean that I REALLY miss her" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Old 08-13-2001, 06:39 PM   #5
Desuma_Malevois

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard it theorized that with ToB installed, it's to your advantage to play a multi-classed character. Since spellcasting strength tops out at 20th level, you might as well get the benefits of advancing in both classes. I would prefer to dual wield, but I would also keep a shield handy for "special" encounters.

Old 08-13-2001, 09:51 PM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Desuma_Malevois:
I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard it theorized that with ToB installed, it's to your advantage to play a multi-classed character. Since spellcasting strength tops out at 20th level, you might as well get the benefits of advancing in both classes. I would prefer to dual wield, but I would also keep a shield handy for "special" encounters.
SPOILER
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Your spell casting abilities do NOT top out at 20th level. In fact, clerics and druids get quest spells, and wizards and sorcerers get 10th level spells. With dual-class characters, you gain access to these abilities quicker (since you are not dividing your experience between two or more classes). A multiclassed character advances slower, meaning you get the abilities at a slower rate. However, the multiclass character has access to both classes' abilities at the same time, with no down time waiting to surpass your first level. I guess it is up to you, but I usually prefer not to play multiclass (I like to have that feeling of advancing in level more often).

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 08-14-2001, 02:13 AM   #7
Thrawn
The Magister

heh sorry
Old 08-14-2001, 03:20 AM   #8
ForgeX
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If your going for a Ranger/Cleric why not go for a multiclass?
I am playing one right now and he is a tank.
Has access to all cleric and druid spells instantly and there is no transition period between getting your skills back as there is with Dual-Class.
By the way if you do go multiclass, there is a bug that doesnt allow you to place 3* in dual-wield like you should be able to. But nothing Shadowkeeper cant fix.
Go for proficiences in:
Hammer
Mace
Flail
Sling

Hope this helps!
Old 08-14-2001, 07:03 AM   #9
Desuma_Malevois

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
SPOILER
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Your spell casting abilities do NOT top out at 20th level. In fact, clerics and druids get quest spells, and wizards and sorcerers get 10th level spells. With dual-class characters, you gain access to these abilities quicker (since you are not dividing your experience between two or more classes). A multiclassed character advances slower, meaning you get the abilities at a slower rate. However, the multiclass character has access to both classes' abilities at the same time, with no down time waiting to surpass your first level. I guess it is up to you, but I usually prefer not to play multiclass (I like to have that feeling of advancing in level more often).

What I'm referring to is at the bottom of page 7 in the ToB manual. Spell *effects* - e.g. level dependant things - cap out at 20, so your bard, for example, won't be casting 25D6 Skull Traps. In addition, warrior classes have some truly great higher level special abilities. Finally, from what I understand, multi-classed characters actually gain their high level abilities based upon total experience, not levels. This discussion is better left to the ToB forum, but since Ertai mentioned that his group would be using the expansion I think you have to take these things into consideration.

Old 08-14-2001, 09:21 PM   #10
roninwalsh
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The first time I played through I had a 1/2 elf multi class ranger/cleric, the no 3 slot in 2 weapon bugged me and the rate at which he gained spells I think he maxed out( with a full 6 member party) at 14/14 Now I'm playing a human 9th level ranger and 24th level cleric and I'm only at the begining of chapter 6. But now with ToB and the additional class skills I think I might go back to the Multiclass. By the way with the ToB updated files undead turning works, boy does it work. I love watching a room full of ghouls and wraiths explode at my meer pressence, soon the vampires will cower from the blows of my rune hammer.