Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2001, 08:21 PM   #1
rodimus
The Magister

OK, I soloed up to chapter 3 with my fighter/mage/thief. I did nearly all the side-quests except for killing the dragons. OK, I still havent finished Firkraags quest, but the shadow dragon kicks my ass, and I think Firkraag is a little tougher. Any suggests in killing them? I killed Kangaxx, and that was easy, cause of Protection from undead, but the dragons make me nuts...

second question:
Do the monsters that appears during the game depend on the level of your main character? I got this question, cause I had to fight several lichs in the ruins (Umar quest) and they weren't there the three times I played before...
Old 08-13-2001, 08:30 PM   #2
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

1st question: The cheeze tactic of lower resistance + cloudkill still works if your really desperate... other wise try a lot of summoned creatures to distract him while you cast spells.

2nd Question: Yes, the higher the level, the harder the monsters

------------------
Old 08-13-2001, 09:12 PM   #3
fckoln
Dungeon Master

Not to be critical, but cheese is what? The spells/wands are available but if you use them as they are intended, it is called cheese. What is not cheese? Is the only way to eliminate an opponent to fight them w/ hand weapons? Or summoned helpers? I can see that casting or using wands to kill an opponent w/o giving them a target to be somewhat cheese, but are thieves not to use their abilities? Or potions, is the player supposed to not use what is in the game? The definition of "cheese tactics" is up to the individual player.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:16 PM   #4
fckoln
Dungeon Master

As to your level of opponent question, yes I do believe the game matches to some extent the difficulty to keep it porportionally difficult for a lower or higher char.

I never had to fight all those liches in that quest.
Old 08-14-2001, 01:03 AM   #5
deathknight
Drow Warrior

I think that people refer to using cloudkill in such a way as cheese because in PnP the monster would obviously attempt to leave the cloud and find who was casting the spells. I tend to agree on this. to each his own of course but if I can't even see the monster I am killing then its not very fun to me.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:42 AM   #6
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

I believe (I don't use cloudkill tactics, so not sure) that ToB enables the Dragons in the expansion (and possibly the dragons in SoA) to react to Cloudkills and search for your player and destroy him. Which is good, cause that tactic is 'cheesy' as it is exploiting a gay bug in the AI which is a laughable way to kill a dragon. If you have to resort to those types of tactics, you aren't high enough level - or creative enough with spells - to be fighting the dragons in the first place.
Old 08-14-2001, 05:29 PM   #7
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I believe Firkraag can be backstabbed, not the other dragons though.
When I beat him with my fighter/mage/thief, I set 3 traps, used a helm's special ability to make a copy of yourself to fight instead of you, then tried to backstab him some times. I also used wand of summoning. I cast breach too, which removes his stoneskin.
Old 08-15-2001, 06:36 AM   #8
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

cast limited wish/ horde of rabbits. Doesn't help beat the dragon (delays him momentarily) but is highly amusing when he wing beats....

personally, if you have the equipment /spells, the following is good.

prot undead.
gate fiend/demon x(5?)

Use wand of lightning.

If I remember, the time I used the wand, it made bits of the dragon.
Old 08-15-2001, 06:51 AM   #9
Guyan Sethe
Dungeon Master

So this is why I had to fight all those damn Liches and Adamantine Golems all the time! I thought it was because of the higher difficulty rating.

------------------
Might makes right.