Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2002, 02:45 PM   #1
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

How do you beat the Umber Hulks and Mind Flayers in the sewers? I just can't get past them, there are too many in one room to beat! As soon as my party steps into the room, they all get confused and run straight into the Mind Flayers arms!
Old 05-13-2002, 02:49 PM   #2
theifprowess
Drizzt Do'Urden

well you can do the quest later in the game if they are to difficult for you. grennstone amulet on 1 character could wipe them all out. or have a mage cast mordakens sword(couple of them) let them do the fighting.
theifprowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 02:51 PM   #3
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:08 PM   #4
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Willard:
How do you beat the Umber Hulks and Mind Flayers in the sewers? I just can't get past them, there are too many in one room to beat! As soon as my party steps into the room, they all get confused and run straight into the Mind Flayers arms!
Get as many theives as possible, hide them in shadows, put each directly behind a mind flayer, and backstab.

Also, theif traps help.

Don't forget that ganging up on one helps.
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 10:25 AM   #5
Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs
Elminster

one of the most effective tactics is the Cloudkill-door strategy. Get one character invisible with a Wand of Cloudkill (it's faster, and bypasses MR) and another with REALLY LOW saving throws or Chaotic Commands on them. Put the Chaoticized person right next to the door, and the invisible one a little ways back. If you time it right, your CC'd char can open the door, the invisible one fires the wand, the CC'd char slams the door shut, and voila! nearly all of the mindflayers will be dead or "near death," the umberhulks will be toast, and all you need to do is clean up the rest. The Reason for the CC is that the Flayers will Psionic Blast the guy who opened the door, through the walls, and you don't want him stunned.

Some call this tactic cheesy. I call it effective.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:35 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The Mind Flayer/Cloudkill thing has been flying around for some time, but there's a fine line between cheese and good roleplay here. True, the Wands are devastating against them, but Mind Flayers are supposed to be the most intelligent race on the planet--so the fact that they're dumb enough to stay in the area of a Cloudkill is just exploiting a weakness in the AI, and therefore, cheese.

What I do is go *around* the cheese: if there's a group I want to Cloudkill, I send Invisible or Stealthed people around them, placing one on the OUTside of every exit from that room. Then they close the doors, presumably barring them, or wedging them shut with a sword blade, and voila--My inner roleplayer now has a room full of Mind Flayers trapped in a small room, and all the intelligence in the world isn't going to help them open a barred door. Cloudkill time.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:01 AM   #7
banzai
Manshoon

If you have 5th level spells already try out *Chaotic Commands* - this is a long-lasting spell and makes you immune to their psionics. With a decent AC against their intelligence draining hits (4 points of intelligencs/hit but just short duration) they should be no real problem then.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:46 AM   #8
Cannibal Monkey
The Magister

huh? Is this in the Unseeing Eye quest?
Old 05-15-2002, 11:52 AM   #9
Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Cannibal Monkey:
huh? Is this in the Unseeing Eye quest?
wander around the Temple District for a while and you'll find out. sone cultists are advocating the gouging out of their eyes and a new god. Helm's priests don't like that much, so they contract you to infiltrate it and destroy it.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:56 AM   #10
Cannibal Monkey
The Magister

Yeah, I know that, but is this bit with umber hilks and mind flayers actually in the unseeing eye quest? If it is I really need to load an earlier save game (eg. one not down the pit)