Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 07:39 PM   #1
sultan

i personally found the religious discussions to be incredibly informative and challenging, other issues notwithstanding.

i'd like to continue those discussions, but respect the decision not to do so here.

the knowledge and passions of members here set a high standard. with that in mind, can anyone recommend another forum that has discussions comparable to the level here?

cheers.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:27 AM   #2
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

A great place to discuss, debate, etc.: http://www.iidb.org/vbb/index.php I am "msman" there. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]

[ 12-10-2003, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]
Old 12-10-2003, 10:11 AM   #3
Maelakin
Drow Warrior

You could also create an e-mail group to discuss those topics. Just invite the people that supply intriguing conversation. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You could also make it a public option allowing anyone to join in the conversation, just not here on the boards.
Maelakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:24 PM   #4
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by Maelakin:
You could also create an e-mail group to discuss those topics. Just invite the people that supply intriguing conversation. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You could also make it a public option allowing anyone to join in the conversation, just not here on the boards.
That's probably the best option, Maelakin.

It is generally considered "bad form" to advertise other forums, although the Mods might be willing to make an exception in this case.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:54 PM   #5
LordKathen

Yes Cerek, I was worried about that after the fact. Probly should have PMed him. Sorry mods. It is a forum of completely different medium though, so maybe it will slide. Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2003, 05:56 PM   #6
sultan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
It is generally considered "bad form" to advertise other forums, although the Mods might be willing to make an exception in this case.
whoops. i didnt mean to offend. just looking for an alternative.
happy to have anyone send any alternate ideas to my email.

cheers.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:12 PM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
Yes Cerek, I was worried about that after the fact. Probly should have PMed him. Sorry mods. It is a forum of completely different medium though, so maybe it will slide. Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well, it looks like no harm has been done. I'm assuming the Mod's have let it slide since it is designed specifically for religious debate and that topic is currently off limits here....so there isn't the "conflict of interest" you would have if it were just a regular forum.

I did check the site out and browsed a few of the threads. Doesn't look like a very friendly place for believers. I get the feeling that those of faith would be the subject of much ridicule and derision and wouldn't get much support from the Mods. Of course, the same would hold true for non-believers that visited a site operated by Christians or other believers. They would be in the extreme minority and would be "ganged up" on by the other members.

That is one reason a site like IW is a much better venue for such debates.....because BOTH sides have a more equal representation among the members and the Mods don't play favorites in either direction.

Maybe the personalities and passions will settle down enough to allow civil discussion to occur here again after an adequate sabbatical.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:34 AM   #8
LordKathen

I would definetly agree Cerek. It is a biased forum of course, and after you wade through the crap rants, there is some interesting debates there. You just have to look. I have been to "Christian" forums, and like you said it is just as "biased", and can be as rude. Well it was just a suggestion. Just an alternative, ya know? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2003, 09:52 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Personally, I don't have a problem with recommending sites, though I'd rather we not discuss the sites here - and PM is always a more tactful way of communicating this info. Just makes it easier for everyone. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:55 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Maybe the personalities and passions will settle down enough to allow civil discussion to occur here again after an adequate sabbatical.
Maybe. I'm not holding my breath at this point, and neither should you guys. Maybe things will change, maybe we will grow more mature as a group, and maybe we'll be able to go beyond debating whose toy is the biggest - to getting to a point of experiencing shared learning and understanding. We are far from that at this point, judging from the number of religious threads we've had to lock or post warnings on. Time will tell - we'll evaluate it in a few months or so.

[ 12-12-2003, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote