Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2001, 03:00 PM   #31
Conan

The Army did a great job at training me when I was young. I was 17 years old. C-4, claymores, grenades,machine guns... I enjoyed it all

------------------
*\Conan/*

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 08-17-2001).]

Old 08-17-2001, 03:06 PM   #32
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Oh you play paintball too Lord Shield? It's cool isn't it? We have a pretty decent paintball range here. I'm more of a now you see me, now you don't player though. Not a commando.

Moni if you've been shot by a few bb's play some paintaball! They dont' sting as much as people say they do. (As long there isn't an idiot who freezes them. Yeah some people do that!) It only hurts for awhile. Once i've been shot in the neck so I know. Just don't get shot in the mask. I probably don't have to tell you this, but paint tastes terrible. And last but not last, the paint they use is easily washed off clothes. Although I didn't expect you to wear a dress or anything. Just thought you'd like to know! It's a fun game, try it!

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 08-17-2001, 05:31 PM   #33
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Marine Corp taught me to shoot. The thing most stressed was SAFETY, which the General was trying to get across to the interviewer who failed to figure that out. Gotta love that guy, Army or not
Old 08-17-2001, 07:02 PM   #34
KHaN
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
IMO, she was the one being an @$$hole, not him! Assuming this transcript to be true (which I think it was), it's a perfect example of a member of the media trying their best to manipulate a story off of society's current fears...a rather disgusting ploy, if you ask me.
Ever been in the Army Saz?

------------------
Old 08-17-2001, 07:28 PM   #35
Tuor
Elminster

Come off it, don't blame the media for asking contentious questions.

As a journalist myself (I know, I know) I get sick of the whole:

'You'll only make it up anyway' argument-actually we don't,
and 'Its all the media's fault' again no it isn't (well not normally)

Our job, although the line blurs occasionally, is to ask the questions people want to hear answers to. If that female interviewer had failed to ask whether kids were being turned into gun totting psychpaths she wouldn't have been doing her job properly.

Most young people don't give a toss what scouts are doing but there are segments of the population that do-mums for example, and you have to cater for as much of the population as possible in my industry.

Yes, It annoys you sometimes when you have to ask boneheaded, down right rude or contentious questions but don't forget that a lot of the time if it had not been for the media exposing the powers that be over terrible human rights abuses, and other assorted dodgy going ons things would never have been changed for the better.

The media can be a powerful force for good, admittedly newspapers do have their own agendas but we are not the ones that start wars, murder people or hike taxes up we just report on those doing it. So give us a break please.

But yes the Army comeback was very very funny. I doubt he'l be giving any more radio interviews in the near future though.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:00 PM   #36
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I doubt he wanted to in the first place
Old 08-17-2001, 08:10 PM   #37
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Thanks for a good laugh. Enjoyed it.

------------------