Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 05-01-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
Voltrath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Spoilers (maybe)

I hate beholders (you probably hate them too). Now i'm in underdark and i've got the cloak that reflects the spells, I entered the southern tunnels with lots of beholders. It was fun for a while - I didn't need to do anything and they would all die to their own spells reflected back to them. But then... one of those big ones casted imprisonment! How can you defend from that? It seems impossible - from what I know you need either spell trap or freedom, but I don't have either and even if i did I wouldn't be able to cast it yet. Normaly I wouldn't let him cast it soon enough, but there are so many of them atacking all at once. So what do you sugest against imprisonment?
Voltrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:46 PM   #2
RoryD
Elite Waterdeep Guard

SPOILERS
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
The Slayer cannot be imprisoned, neither can a charactor with Barbarian rage on. There might be a Spell Immunity, too, but I'm not sure.
RoryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:48 PM   #3
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Imprisonment can only be cast at melee range (ignore Kangaxx, he casts a different version), and you can thus avoid it by keeping a distance to these Elder Orbs, use a bow or other ranged weapon coupled with the Boots of speed and it should be easy enough.

[ 05-01-2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 05-01-2003, 12:49 PM   #4
Captain SlackBladder
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Spell Immunity - abjuration
Captain SlackBladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:00 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RoryD:
~~ cannot be imprisoned, neither can a charactor with Barbarian rage on. ~~
I can see SixOfSpades frothing at the mouth now, but just for your information. Only the Berserker's Rage grants immunity, not the Barbarian's Enrage.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:02 PM   #6
Vedran
Lord Soth

Minsc's Enrage ability doesn't work either.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 06:08 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

*mumble* *mmmrphm* *mumble*
(can't type, frothing at the mouth)

Spell Immunity: Abjuration
Berserker Rage
Minsc's Berserk will protect him in some instances
Spell Trap
Shield of the Archons
Spell Turning
Spell Deflection
Invisibility + Non-Detection, perhaps?

Voltrath, if you need to wear the Cloak of Cheese to beat Beholders, then you can't beat Beholders. I realize that you're nowhere near as anal-retentive as I am about this sort of thing, but you're in the same position as a guy who just stole a car, and is complaining that the radio doesn't work.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:46 PM   #8
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Invisibility wont work. Only Elder Orbs and Hive Mothers can cast Imprisonment, and they see through invisibility anyway.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:18 PM   #9
Wumpspawner
Manshoon

Just turn into a well-to-do neighborhood, and steal a new stereo for your stolen car.

Can't help you much with the beholders. They usually hand my ass back to me on a platter.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:35 PM   #10
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Load up a SI: Necromancy (to protect versus the numerous Cause Wounds; IIRC, they are of the school Necromancy), Spell Shield (protects agaisnt Anti-Magic Rays without being cancelled out), SI: Abjuration (protects against Imprisonment), Free Action (Hold Person is annoying, even with your Save versus spells at 2), Stoneskin, Protection from Poison, Mirror Image, Death Ward, and a couple of other spells that I forgot to take on the Improved Beholders (from the Tactics mod).

Of course, this assumes taht you have some damage-dealing capability, with quite a few of your slots being taken up with buffs, you still have some damage-dealing spell-slots left. Sunfire, Flame Arrow, Skull Trap, and other high-damage spells work fine.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote