Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 01-12-2003, 02:44 PM   #1
Dandad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have only just begun Wizards and Warriors and am presently in the cemetery after a number of fights, including individual skeletons.
During some fights the game freezes (while the computer remains stable and the pointer still moves) and I get the error message
"Deep6 setorigin to nonexistant attatchment point"

I have to alt/tab out of the game and close it using ctrl/alt/del.
I have not put any patches on and I have assigned 300mb to virtual memory

OS Window Me ... 256Mb
Graphics Card GeForce MX 400 64Mb
Direct X 4.08.01.0881

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:49 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Dandad!!!

I'm not very techie so my help will be limited - have you read through the techie help thread to see if there is a solution there? I'll bump it up if the thread has scroll way down or off the first page.

Working with Win ME is similar to the problems that arise with Win2K or WinXP so look for solutions that relate to those OS.

There is a patch available. It does not solve all problems in the game and some of us prefer to play without it so we don't loose certain "perks" (see the Best Tips thread for a comparisome of what the patch does and that it takes away).
I would advise that first we try to solve the problem without installing the patch. If we aren't making progress - then install the patch and see if that will help.

Hopefully one of the more techie regular posters will be along soon to offer much better advice!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:56 PM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

Is that the only place the game freezes? WinME can be very tricky sometimes but a "set origin" error??? I can olny give you some alternatives that MIGHT solve this:
1) -Set desktop settings to 640*480 (16 bits) before running the game.
-Close some background applications (not explorer or systray)
-Delete all files from your windows/temp folder
-Run scan disk
-run disk defragmentation

The desktop setting might just help but donīt count on it.

2) Install the patch. Can be found here. Read the readme file first and backup the files you are about to over write from you W&W folder before extracting the new ones (these files are Gmdata.pak, ttoada.l2n, ttoada.nvs, D6item.dat, deep6.exe)! If you already have applied the patch, remove it by copying the files mentioned above from CD1 to your W&W folder.

3) If that didnīt work, uninstall then re-install the game. You can keep your saved games by backing up the save files and your roster.dat file.

Edit: Win ME isnīt really like working with win2000/XP. ME is an "upgraded" *cough* (Iīd say downgraded) version of Win98, whereas win2000/XP is upgraded from Win NT.

IMPORTANT EDIT:Run dxdiag! Check the screen/monitor (whatever itīs called ) tab. Click "test DirectDraw". Does it work? In any case, what version of DirectX are you using. DX8.0? That info is on the system tab in dxdiag. If it is DX8.0 try upgrading to DX8.1 here.

[ 01-12-2003, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 01-12-2003, 08:08 PM   #4
Dandad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks to you both for your suggestions. Its midnight here and I am of to the Land of Nod. Will follow up various suggestions to-morrow and let you know if and how progress has been made.
Dandad
Old 01-12-2003, 09:40 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I don't think I've greeted you before, so welcome to the boards, Dandad! May the gods throughout the Gael Serran smile blessings on your quest.

I'll mention one other thing, which is that 300MB of virtual memory is pretty tiny. Typically, it's suggested to run with 2-3 times your actual memory. I'd suggest upping that to at least 512, just for starters. The message, about setting something to a non-existant attachment point, makes me think of things like that.

BTW, I just checked and my machine, which is running DirectX 8.1, has the same version number as yours. So you're running DX 8.1 as well. You can still use dxdiag to try to troubleshoot the problem as well.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 11:21 PM   #6
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Welcome to The Board, Dandad !!!!!

At last...you've come out of the shadows
and joined our..fine group....of brave souls

I just wish....your problems, were shallow
...like...which races...should I use..for, which roles.

I think Bungleau...might be a little closer to the mark. I played WW, (without the patch) for many months on a machine running Win ME and DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0881)....no problems. I do however...have 512 MB Ram....But, it sounds more like something related to....System Resources, HDD space....or possibly, a bad install.

You should do as Willow suggested --> run ...dxdiag and test 'DirectDraw' and 'Direct3D'

I have a few other questions, that I would like to add.

1. What speed is your CPU???

2. What is the % of free, System Resources???

3. How much Free disk space do you have???

and finally...more of a curiousity then a question.

Is there a reason you don't want to let windows, manage your virtual memory???
IMHO...If you have a problem with a Windows managed swapfile....The settings you use, should be based on your machine and your normal usage....not a random number or by the SWAG methode (Scinetific Wild A** Guess)
If you have the time...you might find this...a good read...Swapfile

Also...
If your System Resources are low...you might also want to consider this, as well...StartMan

Keep us posted...I'm sure, we can sort this out...
Old 01-13-2003, 01:28 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Good questions, Packrat.

I know I have one reason I like to manage my swap file instead of letting Windows do it... I prefer it to be fixed in size, rather than variable. If you've got the disk space, that's generally preferable IMHO; saves the trouble of the computer trying to help you out more than you need. Right now, my swap space is on my second hard drive, to keep the C: drive less used.

Of course, I haven't clicked on those links yet, so perhaps there's something in there that will change my mind... we'll see...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:14 AM   #8
Radek
Red Dragon

The game freezes randomly anywhere in the game. No special "freezers" can be found. This cannot be mended. The "deep6 message" can also vary or the game hangs your computer without any message. Sometimes, you will be able to quit by means of ctrl-alt-del, sometimes you will have to press the reset button on your computer. Sorry. Your only defense against this crashing is saving the game often. On the other hand, the game does not crash more often than many other games do.
Note: There is one "freezer" in the game that is predictable completely. When you go to Elysia for the Stoneskin trait then let her to finish her speech even if the list of answers is already on the screen. If you click the answer before Elysia finishes her speech then the game freezes - at least on my computer. This "freezer" is related to the sound hardware and/or control.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:13 AM   #9
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hello...again, Dandad

It seems that all of us have overlooked, another possible cause, for your problem.

Are your video and sound drivers...up-to-date????

If your...sound and/or video...are on-board....check the mfg's site for updated drivers.

If they are...add on cards..

Here are the latest Nvidia drivers...Not WHQL...Latest WHQL
(IMHO...I don't worry about WHQL cert., when using Nvidia drivers....but the choice, is up to you.)
Old 01-13-2003, 03:07 PM   #10
Dandad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I want to start this post by thanking all who have offered help and advice. Even the simple fact that that there are so many people ready to co-operate and cover all bases in an effort to resolve my difficulties is very encouraging.
My sincere thanks to you all.

In the last two days I have read all of your suggestions, the "techie tips",
and about the patch.

I have done a fairly complete check of my DirectX; my Graphics card, and very nearly all drivers. I have read about "setorigin" and a variety of error messages. I have altered settings, defraged, scanned and pulled out two of my remaining three hairs. Using "msconfig" I have juggled with memory, vitual memory (minimum 300mb or higher?) and experimented with all sorts of ideas and possibilities. I have yet to check my sound drivers. I have noticed that the NPCs I have met seem to say everything twice, at least. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is this part of my problem or even another one lying in ambush.

I have come to the conclusion that there are only two things significantly wrong with my computer, namely Me and me...Lol

When I first wrote I had "freezed/froze" three times in front of the crypt while fighting the Bone Skeleton and his minions; as well as during other conflicts on the way there. I had no other significant or similar problems.
However, in the course of another dozen attempts to enter the crypt, and with
a hightened awareness as a result of reading the techie help tips, and issues addressed by the patch, I realised that the 'final freeze always followed and featured a feathered flight,' so I put my bows away, picked up my sword and have not yet had any sort of "freeze". Since I have never previously fought more than three or four times without one it seems fairly certain that the problem lies here.

Obviously playing the game without bows is not ideal. But unless somebody advises me to the contrary I suspect it should be feasible? At least I can learn and enjoy the game while trying to find the best solution.

If anyone can tell me if the patch addresses Me, DirectX (Go back to 7) or Deep6 issues I would be better able to decide on a future course of action. I accept, as has been suggested, that the problem is likely to be with a draw/graphics issue, but will continue to explore the possible solutions you have all suggested.

Gratefully yours, Dandad.