Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 03-15-2001, 09:23 AM   #1
Balken
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am a bit confused about the change from wizard to warlock. Do i understand it correctly that once i change to warlock i will not be able to learn new levels of sun and stone spells or is it that i won't be able to learn new spells in those groups at all?
Does sorcery level matter much for a priest and their healing and buffings spells?
What priority do folks put on the skills such as gallantry etc versus sword, two handed. Training so far has been pretty tough choices and i am not sure if i am even close in what is good let alone maximum.
Does anyone need high presence? It doesn't seem to be a significant attribute for the game.
And finally except for role-playing reasons of not killing the target of your quest is there any effect of killing someone like DeSoto? I noted elsewhere a mention of DeSoto's armor being really good but i never considered killing him.
Thanks for the advice and sharing your experiences with all this
Balken
Balken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 09:29 AM   #2
kaythen
Dungeon Master

Those are some good questions. You can learn spells after you change classes, but only as high as the level you were when changed. Desoto's armor doesn't come from desoto, but it is found. Desoto cannot be destroyed.
kaythen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 09:32 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Changing magic users to different classes and spell types is rather confusing. I think someone has written a better explanation than I can redo here so I will look for it and push it back up to the top (if I can find it). General rule of thumb is don't change a magic users class until they have reached lvl 14 and have learns the lvl 7 spells that you consider most important. Learning spells in their old spell types is still possible but harder once they have changed.

You cannot kill D'Soto - he's a ghost already BUT you can still get his armor!
I've not found that Presense is particularly important which holds for some of the other odd (but interesting) skills. Choose what you think is most important and focus on those and you will do well. Better to have some really strong skills than be weak in everything.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 09:35 AM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Warlock is the only role you may change to without losing the ability to learn your older spells at the same level. Go on and change without worry.

Sorcery level matters for ALL spell-casting characters, even Barbarians and Assassins (yes, Barbarians can still cast spells if they learned them before switching roles!)

I put MEGA priority on Gallantry: it can double the amount of damage a fighter does per strike. Get Sword up to around level 7 or 8, same with 2-handed. All they do is improve "To Hit" ratios. Use blessed amulets to improve the hit ratios after that.

I never have seen where presences makes a hill of beans in this game, other than allowing you to change to certain roles.

You get D'Soto's armor from Erathsmedor (actually, from the chests in the chamber of the Mavin. AFAIK, you can't kill D'Soto. He's like the Uber-horse. Nothing affects him, and he doesn't even get p'o'd and attack you back.

Hope this helps!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 09:39 AM   #5
Moni

I waited until I got the high level Wizard spells I wanted before ascending to Warlock.
There is a rule to spell learning after ascensions that has something to do with only learning spells at half the level. You can learn them but must have twice the level...I can't explain it as I never did get it. ; )

I think the priest's sorcery level does have influence on his healing abilities...pay attention to how many HPs he can heal before and after you up it one or two points.

Having blessed and enchanted weapons, I did not put much into gallantry, although it does improve the chance to make succesful strikes and increases damage dealt by any weapon.

One plus about presence..."during combat, Presence directly affects how likely opponents are to target the character." Keeping your stronger characters with more presence than your weaker ones helps the weaker ones not to be targeted as easily. Also with ninjas and monks, "the higher the presence, the less likely they are to be noticed and targeted".

: )
Moni

P.S. Welcome to the BEST W&W Forum anywhere!

Sazerac...I switched to warlock early and when I gained my first level, I did not have the option to add 3rd level Sun spells to my book even though I had third level Sun magic. I reloaded a prior saved game and waited.

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 03-15-2001).]
Old 03-15-2001, 09:42 AM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Moni - thanks for the info on Presense!!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 10:23 AM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Moni: you have to be at the current role level to be able to cast corresponding spells of that level. That is, a 2nd level character cannot cast or learn 3rd level spells! Otherwise, Warlock shouldn't be a problem with learning older spell books.

HINT: To get up in levels fast, fight Rumphy in the crypt. He's the best thing to get newly-changed roles up fast in level.

BTW: The "Scroll of Misinformation" may say what it does, but I still hold that Presence doesn't make a hill of beans. It seems to be more an effect of whos in what position. I notice that the character in the 4th position is the only one to get attacked by spiders, while the one in the 2nd position is the only one to get attacked by slimes. The Rattkin almost always go for the one in the 3rd position. Ironically, the 1st position guy almost always escapes attack (except for Erathsmedor in the Shire), and some undead. Ironic, because the 1st position is where most people put their strongest fighter/paladin/barbarian , what-have-you.

So I still contend with "Presence." It may have been intended to work that way, but I have yet to see it.

-Sazerac

P.S. "Beware the Ides of March"!

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 03-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 03-15-2001).]
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 04:50 PM   #8
Moni

Sazerac...if a Wizard has third level sun magic and has one of the spells in his book and then switches to Warlock, how soon would he be able to add the other 3rd level Sun spell? 1st level Warlock or third? This whole thing had me confused from the beginning.

: )
Moni

Also...is the "Scroll of Misfortune" as you call it the manual that comes with the game or a strategy guide that is bought seperately? I was quoting from the manual that came with the game. : )

Are you going to post your characters stats in the other thread that KOOLAID started? I would like to see some comparisons in the characters played by my favorite forum friends : ) or are you not playing a 6 person party?

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 03-15-2001).]
Old 03-15-2001, 05:37 PM   #9
Balken
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanking you all for a great forum that is fun to read above and beyond the great help provided. Balken just started as a Samurai as he was able to spawn the spirit by entering the area in front. Figured out that the role switches is where a lot of extra training and skills increases come from. Still bloody expensive without resorting to ill=gotten gains from the inn.
Do you know if the valkyrie has to be female or a paladin at all before hand?

Balken-- the sorta samurai who mostly wants to wear cool looking armor
Balken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 05:40 PM   #10
skywalker
Banned User

Balken,
The Valkyrie has to be female, but I don't think her being a paladin is a prerequisite.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote