Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2006, 02:48 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

What else are they going to remove?

No more excellent artwork portraits. Now we get snapshots of our 3D Char. Bah.
I guess it's ok, but I loved the art, and it made everyones character unique.

Here is the thread.
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums...75972&forum=99

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:16 AM   #2
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I suppose I sort of understand the rationale behind the decision. But I still liked the portraits, they were really cool, added a bit of rustic feel to it. It seems to me like they're tending towards a far more generic engine, and while that's their right, I would much prefer they stick faithfully to the old systems.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:31 AM   #3
Zink Whistlefly

I'm reasonably relaxed about this. One thing that annoyed me about NWN was that with the limited customisation of the player models, you could never quite find a suitable portrait that matched what your player looked like in-game.

Provided you can fully customise your character, changing build based on height and width, rather than just fat or thin, facial features, muscular physique etc etc kind of like you can in Oblivion, I will be happy with this decision...
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:10 AM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'm kinda riding the rail on this. I won't form an opinion on it until I can see it implemented. That's where all the difference will be seen. I do agree that it could cause some major performance hits though.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I'm going to miss the portaits, especially in any multiplay games. But we'll see how 'clone like' they new ones are. It's one thing I don't like at all about games like Divine Divinity or Dungeon Siege....one look fits nearly all... blech!
Old 04-13-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Bad news. 3d 'snapshots' are always ugly unless they are polished up alot beforehand. These models are made for animation, not photography. I give this a 1/10.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I like portraits, but they only give us a limited array of portraits to choose from.

I like what they did with Guild Wars on the hero screen, you have a kind of 1x1 picture of your character, that is 3d and moving as well, and it doesn't look bad at all. Hopefully they pull off something that will make us gravitate to our characters even more.
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
rah_pillage
Dungeon Master

Most all current 3D character based games have extensive customization down to mustaches. It would be a serious misstep if they omit that level of customization while implementing character based renders for portraits.

Here's to hoping all teh eggs in the thinking room know this.

Generic looking characters = Badd