Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-23-2003, 10:57 AM   #1
Vampire

Academically. only. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Highier exam results.. that's conclusive isn't it?

Then why is it that most important breakthroughs in Science are done by blokes?
If we compile the list, the girls have about 3 and the guys have about 40,000.

Is it because we peak later? Are we very sexiest? Are we sexy? sorry wrong question.

Are exams not reflecting true interlectual independent potential? Do they reflect more on memory, discipline and self-motivation?

What do you think?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:00 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

I don't think it's the intellect of a woman or man, but more that the academic world is more man-based. Although the feminists are getting their way and more and more women enter the academic world, I think it's still too much secluded from the women.

And no, I'm not a woman
Old 09-23-2003, 11:13 AM   #3
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
I don't think it's the intellect of a woman or man, but more that the academic world is more man-based. Although the feminists are getting their way and more and more women enter the academic world, I think it's still too much secluded from the women.

And no, I'm not a woman
That's true. Percentage wise less women are in the academic world. But if they are so good at schools, then where have they gone?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:16 AM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Why do guys have more academic breakthroughs than girls, you ask? Because untill recently we have kept the women out of highly educated fields. I personally believe that both genders are capable of almost equal mental capabilities. Females have a slightly higher level of success in that area because males are often more easily distracted. Just my opinion mostly.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-23-2003, 11:20 AM   #5
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Because untill recently we have kept the women out of highly educated fields.
That is outrageous I think. Men have not kept women out of anything. It's fair to say that there are less women doing high level academic work. Looking only at the past 10 years, this is so not true.

Both my parents are academics, and I grew up in an academic surrounding. The truth is MORE women see their job as a career rather than anything else. More men see their job not as a job, but as pushing the science forward.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:23 AM   #6
Vampire

It is often wrong to blame men for a lot of the things.

Take my mother for example. Let's pray that she doesn't read this.

She spends most of her time thinking about what she has to cook tonight, whether she looks okay in the mirror and various other things unrelated to work.

Girls are just girls... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ofcourse we get girls who care less about these things, and concentrate more on work. But the majority don't. And compared to men, girls are more vain.

Which I think is great, because I really don't like girls who don't know how to take care of their image.

Old 09-23-2003, 11:29 AM   #7
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

The only thing I care about is how sweet my girlfriend is

"come on, let's hug...AGAIN'
Old 09-23-2003, 11:32 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Because untill recently we have kept the women out of highly educated fields.
That is outrageous I think. Men have not kept women out of anything. It's fair to say that there are less women doing high level academic work. Looking only at the past 10 years, this is so not true. [/QUOTE]Yes and 10 years is suuuuch a long time. Let's see women have only been allowed to vote for 90 years in Canada. 90 years!! That's a ridiculous short time you know. I agree that the situation has improved a lot but 20 years ago female doctors were not that common (about 8-9% I'd guess). Women were discouraged to continue their studying. Why? Because M.D. was a man's work.

So yes, sexism is still a huge part in the academic world. Check the univeristy boards for women. Also there's children. Giving birth is a little hard for men lol, but why is it that men are discouraged to stay at home? No it's most often the woman's responsibility, and I'm not talking about the first year only.

If you want to compare breakthroughs in science you'll have to compare only the latest few years, not the last 10. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2003, 11:32 AM   #9
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
The only thing I care about is how sweet my girlfriend is

"come on, let's hug...AGAIN'
Awwwww

I bet she is smarter than you [img]tongue.gif[/img]

jokes
Old 09-23-2003, 11:36 AM   #10
TX_Chris
Dungeon Master

What are you talking about!? Woman have been in the backround of society for centuries, i mean it hasn't even been that long since woman got the right to vote, ofcourse the world has progressed in the past 50 years much faster than ever before but still if you look back woman doctors started to appear around the late 19th century and early 20th century just because before then they were thought to be too innocent and pure to become doctors. So if you think about it, it hasn't been that long since then so you shouldn't be shocked if the statistics show a higher percentage of men acheiving "academic breakthroughs" than woman. It'll be a long time before the world is fully equal.
Thats not saying that woman don't get high ranking jobs, just that there are still people that are stuck in that ancient mind set