Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-04-2004, 06:06 AM   #1
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Thumbs down to the Australian Film and TV Censorship Board. Despite receiving a PG rating in both the US and UK (the standards that we tend to take after), our cerebral assassins decided that the latest Harry Potter movie should have a M15+ rating (recommended for 15+ but not restricted). Some of the panel even voted for an MA15+ classification (restricted to 15 and over accompanied by a mature adult), but very few went for PG.

While it is not a legal limitation, the rating is sure to sway the hearts and minds of some parents and is expected to impact the films box office receipts. There will be a few mums and dads with kiddies in the 6-15 bracket who's households will be quite traumatic with the kiddies being forbidden to see the latest Potter exploits.

The film distributors are appealing the classification.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

eh, well, you know, cult classics are sometimes considered sketchy. what did the first two movies come out in the ratings?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:27 AM   #3
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

One of the critics here said it was more dark and sinister than the previous two, perhaps that's why they rated it so. That makes me want to see it even more. My son is only six but I'd take him to see it if he wanted to go, he's seen all of the LOTR dvd's, he just doesn't like the theatre because of the volume.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:40 AM   #4
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:
eh, well, you know, cult classics are sometimes considered sketchy. what did the first two movies come out in the ratings?
The first 2 had no problems coming in at the PG rating - seems like the Dementors must have scared our poor wee censors out of their rather tiny mental faculties
Old 06-04-2004, 07:43 AM   #5
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this as well. Im taking my 8 year old nephew to it. Kind of a tradition now. His parents are a bit worried about the M15+ rating but I've convinced them to let me take him.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:22 AM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

That is sad news as most people that would be seeing it has already read (or have been read to) the books, right? Is that an assumpton I should not make?

Anyway, My wife used to not let anything PG-13 come into this house, and I got that one changed real quick. Now, I am trying to convince her that even though a movie gets an "R" rating...it does not mean that the content is "R" rated. The fools that govern the ratings make tihs stuff up from thin air and cause us alot of trouble. For example, I hear rumor that the Return of the King was almost considered "R" because of the fact that the war was a dominant factor in the movie. But somebody was able to pull strings and get it lessened to a PG-13. I think there was more violence in that movie than in the Last Samuri, for example.

Ah well...maybe the appeal will come through for you guys.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Thumbs down to the Australian Film and TV Censorship Board. Despite receiving a PG rating in both the US and UK (the standards that we tend to take after), our cerebral assassins decided that the latest Harry Potter movie should have a M15+ rating (recommended for 15+ but not restricted). Some of the panel even voted for an MA15+ classification (restricted to 15 and over accompanied by a mature adult), but very few went for PG.

While it is not a legal limitation, the rating is sure to sway the hearts and minds of some parents and is expected to impact the films box office receipts. There will be a few mums and dads with kiddies in the 6-15 bracket who's households will be quite traumatic with the kiddies being forbidden to see the latest Potter exploits.

The film distributors are appealing the classification.
Dave, just don't shave for a few day's, you should be ok
Old 06-04-2004, 08:47 AM   #8
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hello - I have woken up a Londoner - what's happened with the Bro fella - is he enjoyin his hols or is he pining for the fjords?