Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 08:59 AM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

I have seen these before, but considered it fake before a reliable site took an article.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...tid=188&tid=97

Though the movie is still nowhere near completion, I have quite some doubts about how good it'll be. Changing names to Asuka to Kate Rose and Rei to Ray doesn't sound promising at all. I'd much rather have no EVA movie at all, than one which is significantly affected by the masses.

This movie can only work fan-driven!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:31 AM   #2
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Huh? Feature film as in real ppl or CG?
Old 01-19-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Live Action -I think they're planning to make a "real" film out of it, as in real actors.

I have to agree with you uss. Kate Rose?? Come on! Keep the original names if you're gonna make a film of it...plus the characters look nothing like they do in the series, which sucks. But I guess we'll have to wait and see before they reveal how much they've butchered the concept.

I kind of think its an insult to Anno...I mean, he created the entire story, and making a film out of it and change key aspects which make it important...I dunno, I think I'll probably avoid it when it comes out. They'll probably have a "happy" ending too, if it's changed due to popular demand. I don't think they're gonna make a huge film if it follows the same lines as the series did...
Old 01-19-2004, 05:41 PM   #4
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Japanese anime cant just be translated to fit the western standards. If it did, it wouldnt be anime in the first place. I wonder why Anno gave out the right to make this movie.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:52 PM   #5
Spirits forever

SWEETT!!!! can't wait for teh movie....

Old 01-20-2004, 03:25 PM   #6
uss
20th Level Warrior

I agree that the best of Anime can't be converted to a real-life movie. In anime, practically every character is in perfect bodily shape(especially women), and very attractive, as anything disgusting in a person(zits, pores(sp?), certain hair, etc.) is simply removed.

Also, most characters in almost all Anime have very specific views of the world, and anything happening around them - I'm almost sure that these actors can't express them like the fans want them to, although the voice actors in NGE(Japanese) were PERFECT, like the screen going black and Shinji's voice actor screaming his lungs out after noticing a certain thing, THAT was perfect!

I predict that like Akane in the dubbed version of Ranma 1/2, this will wreck Asuka's character, portraying her as a simple spoiled brat. It isn't possible to make a good less than 180 minute long NGE movie, since it has to leave most of the content out due to the limited time.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:32 PM   #7
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

I agree that the Japanese voice actors/tresses were incredible...one reason why I despise the dubbed version - because it simply cannot porttray the same emotions, it can't bring across the same effect. I mean I didn't know Shinji had a female voice actress (in the original), she fooled me completely. I couldn't stand Asuka's dubbed voice, it just didn't fit...

And yes, to make it halfway decent they'd have to make more than one film...though I'm curious how the Eva's are gonna look in the film...and does anyone know whether Shinji has the same name?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:39 PM   #8
Niadh
Elminster

*Sob* Rei has black hair.

But the Eva concept art looks great.
A Knight is sworn to darkness. <br />His heart knows only hatred.<br />His sword destroys the helpless,<br />His might imprisons the weak.<br />His wrath upholds the wicked, <br />His word speaks only lies.<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.boomspeed.com/niadh/newiwsig.jpg\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 01-21-2004, 12:44 AM   #9
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by slicer15:

And yes, to make it halfway decent they'd have to make more than one film...though I'm curious how the Eva's are gonna look in the film...and does anyone know whether Shinji has the same name?
After changing Asuka to Kate Rose, and Rei to Ray(As if 'Rei' is way too alien for a real-life movie), I think a Joe or John Shinji isn't completely out of the question for them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Niadh:
*Sob* Rei has black hair.

But the Eva concept art looks great.
Yeah, the EVA concept art looks good. They might even pull out some of the combat scenes, but I really doubt they can handle the last one with Asuka against the millitary and later Angels - That was the best action scene of all, for some people I know.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:30 AM   #10
uss
20th Level Warrior

By the way, here is the link to a very dedicated NGE Movie site:

http://eva.trivialbeing.net/