Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2002, 07:28 PM   #1
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

I need some help.......

I'm running the worldwide web publishing service on my web server. I'm having an issue, it is stopping randomly. I rebooted the server the service starts then it randomly stops.....just stops.

Any ideas, this is freakin' killing me!!!! Damn them, Damn them all to Hell.....

You Can Not Hide
Old 10-14-2002, 02:55 AM   #2
The Trickster
Manshoon

This happens occassionally to one of my servers at work. In our case, it's seems to be a lack of memory. When the server starts to run low on virtual memory and/or hard drive space for paging, the first service it stops is the WWW service.

Normally, in our case, we just clear out logs and temp files, and restart the service. This is obviously not a permanent fix though.

I hope this helps.

The Trickster.
<br /><br />Movie Reviewer for Ironworks Gaming<br />Hero of Icewind Dale and alias to The Nameless One, Gordon Freeman, Garrett, Elayna Sedai, Cate Archer, Child of Bhaal, J.C Denton and Patrick Galloway.<br />Leader in the war against commercial music.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:44 AM   #3
andrewas
Harper

You can use the services icon under the control pannel to restart without having to reset the system.

AS for a permanent fix, it could be that a few massive logs and temp files are taking up too much RAM, so clearing them out may go a long way to improving things. Also, RAM is cheap so a few 512Mb sticks shoudnt be too hard to obtain.

Certain viruses do terminate processes, but they mostly target anti-virus processes. A virus scan is always a good idea though,
Old 10-14-2002, 11:39 AM   #4
Thoran
Galvatron

Check your app log for events... either notification of improper termination or other events occuring around that time that might be causing a problem. It's been a while since I ran NT Server but it SHOULD be giving you some indicator that IIS is stopping... perhaps there's some info in there that might be useful.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:07 PM   #5
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

I'll check the temp file size, thanks

I did check the logs, but there was nothing in there about the service.

Thanks for your help.

If there are any other Ideas, please let me know.

You Can Not Hide