Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 03-11-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
weskerwesker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hmmm i`m in skull castle i just fell out the bridge to the water came into the little dungeon and when i find the skull key (labyrinth key)
and try to use it on the lock the game crash!!

it happen to me before in some places like the dragon spire when i needed to use the pick axe on the ore to dig dragon ore

and in the serpent temple to / shur castle as well
seems it crashing when you choose "use" on someone

please guys help ):
weskerwesker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

Are you running win****2000? Or XP? If it is so then the problem seems to be caused by the video driver.
I am suffering from the same problem. Sorry, no help here. You can try the following maneuver:

1. Position yourself so that the keyhole is as close to the edge of the action window as possible.
2. Select "use", then select the key.
3. Move the mouse to the keyhole the shortest way and click the keyhole.
4. Do not move the mouse after clicking the keyhole. Use your keyboard to switch away from "use", for example, to your weapon.
5. Now, you can operate your mouse again.

HTH

Hiroshima 1945, Chernobyl 1976, Windows 2000 ...
Old 03-11-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

Radek, do you think it could be that the game runs in Windows 95 compatibility mode whereas the driver is still Windows 2000/XP specific?

BTW, if it is a driver incompatibility different driver versions should be more or less efficient. What graphics card are you using? Radek, you're using an Nvidia card correct?

[ 03-11-2004, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:54 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

Yes, it can be some clash between W95 compatibility mode and W2000 "operating system". As we know, windows = bags of bugs and heaps of slapdash work. But what can we do? We cannot install W95 driver on W2000.
Driver versions. I am not sure whether changing driver version will help. The game is old. New driver versions will introduce new capabilities but they will not care about compatibility with old applications. Nevertheless, experimenting with driver versions can bring some improvements.
Yes, both my motherboard and my video card are nVidia.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:28 PM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

Well the driver version could perhaps improve the stablility of the game. Selecting a driver optimized for directx 7 could possibly be more stable for W&W than the later Geforce FX drivers.

I'll install the game and try some different versions of the catalyst drivers and see if there's any difference. ATI drivers may actually be better suited for W&W than Nvidia drivers since ATI base many of their releases on fixing bugs related to gaming.

However, if you have the time and the patience Radek, you could perhaps try som different drivers. AFAIK 30.82 and 41.03 are the most stable. The latest (45.43?), has received praise as well, but no doubt you have tried that one already.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote