Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2001, 09:04 AM   #1
alekz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi, I need som suggestions

1) When should I go to Heart of Winter, I've just killed a lich and got a key to a glacier, I went there and killed some trolls but I went back and talked to a Umber Hulk who wants me to kill someone. I'm at Chapter 5 now. Should I do the Umber Hulk quest or go to Heart of Winter?

2) When in Heart of Winter, what must I do to start Trials of the Luremaster expansion?

3) Is the TotL hard? What level should I be before doing it?

4) If I got to HoW must I complete it before I can go back to Chapter 5?

Thanks
alekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 12:57 PM   #2
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I can answer you well because I am right now in TotL.

Quote:
Originally posted by alekz:
Hi, I need som suggestions

1) When should I go to Heart of Winter, I've just killed a lich and got a key to a glacier, I went there and killed some trolls but I went back and talked to a Umber Hulk who wants me to kill someone. I'm at Chapter 5 now. Should I do the Umber Hulk quest or go to Heart of Winter?

Yes, do the Umber Hulk quest and finish ALL of chapter 5. Some even start chapter 6 before moving on to HoW.

2) When in Heart of Winter, what must I do to start Trials of the Luremaster expansion?

There is the Whistling Gallows Inn in Lonelywood. When you enter the main room there is a short character by the spit that is roasting some kind of meat. His name is Hobart. When you are ready, to go talk to him -- but ONLY if you're ready to go, because once you say yes there is no turning back until you are finished with this add-on.

3) Is the TotL hard? What level should I be before doing it?

Yes, TotL can be EXTREMELY tough. My suggestion is do all of the chapters of HoW EXCEPT where they want to transport you to the Sea of Moving Ice. Get them as high as you can. I suggest stocking up with potions, arrows, and the very best weapons and armour that you can afford. As you find weapons and armour sell off the ones you just don't need to get cash. By the way, you can get some unbelievable amounts of experience in HoW if you do and ask things in a certain way. If you want to know how to obtain this experience let me know.

4) If I got to HoW must I complete it before I can go back to Chapter 5?

This is the order that seems to work best. Others have given this suggestion as well.

A. Do IWD and complete chapter 5. Some will do some of 6, but whatever you do
make sure your single class characters are at least 9 and your multi-class
chracter numbers add up to 9.

B. Do all of HoW except The Sea of Moving Ice because once you go there you cannot return and once this is finished you go back to Kuldahar which means no TotL.

C. Talk to Hobart and you're off to the Trails and trials they are! Please make sure you are fully prepared item wise. YOU CANNOT RETURN TO HoW UNTIL YOU FINISH THIS ADD-ON. You will be able to to purchase there. Better have some gold. I hope you have good fighters and good spell casters -- you'll need it! You'll see.

D. When you complete TotL you'll be going back to HoW. Complete HoW and you'll get to go back to Kulhdahar. Finish IWD

Thanks
I hope this helps and is clear.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 01:14 PM   #3
alekz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi, thanks alot for the explantion, and yes please tell me how to get the massive experience

More questions:

1) What's the level cap now?

2) Can I memorize level 8 & 9 spells or do I need the hack?

3) Are there dragons in IWD?

4) My party is:

Paladin - Human male - Uses swords
Fighter - Human female - Uses swords
Fighter - Dwarf male - Uses maces and axes
Mage - Half-elf female - Uses sling
Druid - Half-elf female - Uses sling and quarterstaff
Fighter/Thief - Elf male - Uses large bows and daggers

Is that a good or bad mix?

Old 08-11-2001, 03:10 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by alekz:
Hi, thanks alot for the explantion, and yes please tell me how to get the massive experience

Do you mind major spoilers? Because to get this experience it will require me telling you some of the plot. Let me know.

More questions:

1) What's the level cap now?

Depending on the difficulty setting your characters can reach 30th level. My thief is currently 18th. HoW raise the cap. Make sure you patch it!

2) Can I memorize level 8 & 9 spells or do I need the hack?

If you can reach the level and have the required intelligence to can memorize and utilize these spells without a hack

3) Are there dragons in IWD?

Well I went to chapter 5 and so far no dragons.

4) My party is:

Paladin - Human male - Uses swords
Fighter - Human female - Uses swords
Fighter - Dwarf male - Uses maces and axes
Mage - Half-elf female - Uses sling
Druid - Half-elf female - Uses sling and quarterstaff
Fighter/Thief - Elf male - Uses large bows and daggers

Is that a good or bad mix?

Well good or bad mix depends on one's preferences. I like the idea of having your thief a fighter/thief. I made my halfling a straight thief and I am sorry I did so for two reasons: a) he can't take advantage of the really cool long bows provided and b) he lost out on fighter hit points.

However, IMO I would have definitly had a cleric. Raise dead may very well be something you wish you had in TotL and don't forget Elves can't be raised, they can only be resurrected which is a higher spell. Plus, in the midst of battle I have had my cleric stand behind my fighters casting heal as they fought. I hope your mage can cast high level spells -- you'll need them. Also, I would have EVERY member of my party, fighters included, to be able to use range weapons.
For what it is worth, here is my party:

Half-Elf Ranger, Long Sword, Bow, Flail (takes too long to advance)
Dwarf Fighter, Axe, Bastard Sword, Bow, Flail
Human Cleric, Three White Doves (a mace), Sling
Halfling Thief, Short Bow, Short Sword
Gnome Cleric/Illusionist, Sling, Flail
Elf Fighter/Mage Bow and either a Long Sword or a Flail depending on the situation.

Believe it or not, those last two have saved my butt many times. If you look at it I have 2 Clerics and 2 Mages, and 3 Fighters.

[This message has been edited by Albromor (edited 08-11-2001).]
Old 08-11-2001, 03:32 PM   #5
alekz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What the hell, spoil me
Old 08-11-2001, 09:05 PM   #6
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Okay, I'll write later if that is okay with you because right this minute I am way swamped with work. Where are you in game play so that I'll know how much time I have to send the info?
Old 08-12-2001, 06:15 AM   #7
alekz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I did the Umber Hulk thing and I'm on my way to Wyrm's Tooth now
Old 08-13-2001, 04:09 PM   #8
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

with Lure Master, the exp cap seems to have been removed for the Multi-classed characters who can now reach 30 in each class no matter how much xp it takes. I noticed this in HoF mode, but i'm not sure that is directly related.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote