Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
Trogdor
Manshoon

Default Re: Help me decide between LCD TVS - 32"/37"/40"? 720p/1080p?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Attack View Post
Well I would not go any thing less the 42". And you have to get the 1080p.

720p is like 8 track in about 3 more months. And if your going to invest that much money. What is another few 100 bucks.

I bought the 42" sony baveria1080p(LCD since I have loads of sunlight) 2 years ago. I sit about 10 to 12 feet away and i find it a little small. But the hd is simply amazing. I mean watching hockey and you see the marks left from the players.

Good luck hunting for a t.v. Rember in about 6 months all those prices you are looking at are going to drop a few 1oo bucks. So there is the option of waiting a wee bit longer.
I have the same Bravia, the X series is exceptional and the only ones that come close or exceed are the samsungs from what I have seen/read (Both Sony and Samsung make their own panels I believe too which is a major advantage)

Shoop Da Whoop!
Linux - People aren't really interested in building their car from scratch either.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #12
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

This is the week to pick up a TV, BTW... there are massive sales and promos prior to the Super Bowl, and they all disappear next week.

I'm planning on a new TV (no computer monitor, just TV), and am looking at a 42" LCD, 1080i. As Mack_Attack said, 780 is now ancient history, and it's worth getting *just* a bit more
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #13
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
With that Microsoft payout they agreed on (when they reneged on the buyout of Ironworks)
Hmmm, now that has made me curious. What's the story behind this Microsoft thingie? Or am I too new on the forums and missed some big event in the past?

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #14
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Mate I bought a 52 inch rear projection LCD Sony Bravia and have never looked back. I know it doesn't help ya but I'm drunk in my hotel room in melbourne and wanted to brag hehehe.

Future proof it b going 1080p and then pick what ever size you think will look best in the space you want.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ironworks Forum Re: Help me decide between LCD TVS - 32"/37"/40"? 720p/1080p?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplax View Post
Hmmm, now that has made me curious. What's the story behind this Microsoft thingie? Or am I too new on the forums and missed some big event in the past?

In 2002, Microsoft Games wanted to purchase the name Ironworks gaming from me. Their first offer was $1500. LOL, I said 'you're joking. contact me when you're serious." Then they did, and I talked them up to $45,000. They agreed, and sent a contract. I got my attorney to notarize the domain name handover and so on.

I bought escapegaming.com and escapeforums.com and changed all the logos to Escape Gaming. Then, at the last damn moment, they said they had a management shakeup, and said they decided against buying it at this time. They asked me what the trouble will cost me, I said $7000! I was pissed. So they cut the check, and bought the TV (we had a shitty 27 inch) a Sony laptop and got new carpet and tile for the house. Also upgraded some hardware in the Server and banked the rest.

I should scan in the contract--I made them send it all back. (on the paper, they even had a Microsoft watermark of their logo.. lol).

We had huge plans to pay off loads of bills, and maybe get a new car... sucked big time. But I am happy I kept the name. I love Ironworks Gaming much better than Escape Gaming.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #16
dplax
Jack Burton

45k must have been a very nice prospect. Pity that it didn't happen in the end. At least we're still IW and not something like EG. :p

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #17
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
In 2002, Microsoft Games wanted to purchase the name Ironworks gaming from me. Their first offer was $1500. LOL, I said 'you're joking. contact me when you're serious." Then they did, and I talked them up to $45,000. They agreed, and sent a contract. I got my attorney to notarize the domain name handover and so on.

I bought escapegaming.com and escapeforums.com and changed all the logos to Escape Gaming. Then, at the last damn moment, they said they had a management shakeup, and said they decided against buying it at this time. They asked me what the trouble will cost me, I said $7000! I was pissed. So they cut the check, and bought the TV (we had a shitty 27 inch) a Sony laptop and got new carpet and tile for the house. Also upgraded some hardware in the Server and banked the rest.

I should scan in the contract--I made them send it all back. (on the paper, they even had a Microsoft watermark of their logo.. lol).

We had huge plans to pay off loads of bills, and maybe get a new car... sucked big time. But I am happy I kept the name. I love Ironworks Gaming much better than Escape Gaming.
And plus you got to get 7k from 'em that you didn't have before. I remember that whole debaucle, your post in general and all of us ready for the change in address etc. Can't believe it was that long ago though, where did the time get to?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #18
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Whatever happened to Escape Gaming? Weren't you planning on adding at as another branch of the site anyways?
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
This is the week to pick up a TV, BTW... there are massive sales and promos prior to the Super Bowl, and they all disappear next week.

I'm planning on a new TV (no computer monitor, just TV), and am looking at a 42" LCD, 1080i. As Mack_Attack said, 780 is now ancient history, and it's worth getting *just* a bit more

The problem though is, if I get 1080p will it mean that my CURRENT stuff (DVDs, streamed media burned onto DVD) will look crap? Because that kind of defeats the whole point of it.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

I remember that lol. I also remember that I told you you should have told them the trouble would have cost you $45k.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote