Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-01-2004, 11:20 AM   #1
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I think I may have a virus, or something...my computer is acting funny...the icon-file for Notepad has disappeared, but even more worrying is the fact that today, every time I've opened a program, the help-file for said program has come up soon afterward.

It did it for Roxio Drag to disc, MSN Messenger, Ad Aware 6, Internet Explorer, and Wmplayer...so, either I have a keyboard glitch where F1 keeps reading as being pressed, or some perverted little creep creating an annoying bit of unpleasant software...

Any ideas?

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 09-01-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

First, go to www.trendmicro.com and do an on-line scan. That will remove the viri.

Second, there is a keymapper or something like that in Windows. Someone may have mapped "click" to be "click-F1" or something like that. The fact that the notepad icon file has disappeared is curious... do you mean that it just doesn't show up? That may mean time for a Windows repair install.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

It shows up as the "miniature window" that windows brings up when an icon is missing from it's typical location...I don't know...probably a completely irrelevant problem, but not necessarily...

And now, for some reason, rather than going to Notepad, my computer goes to the ACCESSIBILITY OPTIONS WIZARD!!!!

ARRRG!

[ 09-01-2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Ilander ]

Old 09-01-2004, 02:09 PM   #4
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Do yo have an antivirus program, Poo? If not, I strongly recommend AVG. Free!
Old 09-01-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

FIXED!!!

I ran TWO virus scans, one with Norton, one with the above link, neither of which found anything...and I ran two anti-adaware searches and found next to nothing...no viruses whatsoever...

Turns out, though, that the .dll file my friend had supplied to me to play a game was the wrong one...

So, I killed it with an erasing program, and then dled the correct .dll, and then fixed the target address of the link to Notepad...

Simple stuff, really.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:15 PM   #6
Har'oloth
Manshoon

maybe your computer has been taken over by,

1) an evil spirit of an software developer who could'nt find rest after developing the right mouse button menu

2) You look too much at other sites than ironworks...

3) You got a virus! kill it!!!!!