Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2001, 02:07 PM   #1
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I was just reading through the Best Tips thread and noted that Saz was recommending that folks have a bard in their party. I've never been all that fond of bards at least not as they have been in most of the games I have played.

I have a Rogue that is doing nicely and is good with ranged weapons. He doesn't do any spells at this point - SO

are bards so good in this game that I should consider switching his profession?? (we're still hauling around a bunch of instruments)

Convince me!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 04:10 PM   #2
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Hi Wyv, I have a bard in my party and I think him most useful. He seems to do quite a bit of damage with the piercing bagpipes. He's not bad with the bow and arrow and also not bad with throwing and slinging. I have been quite happy with him and would highly recommend a bard.
Old 11-22-2001, 07:56 PM   #3
Ravashack
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Let's see now...

Unlimited Sleeps.
Unlimited Confusions.
Unlimited Freeze Flesh.
Unlimited Slows.
Unlimited Blesses.

And that's just for the beginning sections of the game (well, depending on if you imported or not).
Ravashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 08:14 PM   #4
vesselle
Hathor

~~wyvern~~

i have always been a thiefsie/rogue type. always.

but playing the demo for w8 gave me a really great appreciation for the way they designed the bard. i was impressed. with her innate skills and advantages she brings to the group (like ravashack pointed out), i am foregoing the rogue this time.

the first time i had her use her bagpipes and watched pesty critter types explode into a zillion peices of sticky icky ooze, i was so won over! LOL! you really should try one, just to see if she can be to your liking.

the only drawback i saw was that she really runs out of stamina fast. but if pots are as numerous ingame as they were indemo, that def won't be a problem.

V***V
Old 11-22-2001, 08:52 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by vesselle:
~~wyvern~~

i have always been a thiefsie/rogue type. always.

but playing the demo for w8 gave me a really great appreciation for the way they designed the bard. i was impressed. with her innate skills and advantages she brings to the group (like ravashack pointed out), i am foregoing the rogue this time.

the first time i had her use her bagpipes and watched pesty critter types explode into a zillion peices of sticky icky ooze, i was so won over! LOL! you really should try one, just to see if she can be to your liking.

the only drawback i saw was that she really runs out of stamina fast. but if pots are as numerous ingame as they were indemo, that def won't be a problem.

V***V

That's why you want your Priest to cast "Stamina" on your bard every so often, which recharges them for the next blast. Having a teamwork strategy here makes it a winning combination.

Cheers,
-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 09:03 PM   #6
vesselle
Hathor

~~saz~~

that's very true.
but i am such a hog. i feel like i'm wasting a turn by having him buff her up. LOL! that's why i collected stam pots left, right and center.

i know i need to rethink my strat, cuz the bigger and badder she gets, the number of pots req'd to keep her full will be atrocious.
i just can't get past my wiring, tho.

i'm like, buff her up or toss a web? buff her up or toss a web? buff her up or.... dang, just toss the web already!

::rolls her eyes:: i am so bad that way. a real creature of the moment. prolly why my bf always groans when i suggest playing AoE or Civ together.

V***V
vesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 09:37 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, Vesselle!

Well, I pretty much use my Priest for defensive rather than offensive spells, so after casting a web in the first round, I have him blast the bard with Stamina (or a low-level Rest All for the party if they're all starting to drag in the battle).

One other instrument I found in the Swamp that's DEFINITELY worth a bard: the Drums of Resolve? ...whatever, it casts unlimited HASTE spells...in this game, that's vital.

I'm off to sell stuff back in Arnika and check to see if my Beastslayer Axe is ready (and to pre-order my Steelhide Mail from Antone, since I've now amassed the elements for it) and then I'm off to Marten's Bluff.

Cheers,
-Sazerac
Old 11-22-2001, 09:40 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Wyvern, if you haven't started with a bard, don't bother getting one if you're past 8th or 9th level with your rogue...it'll take him or her forever to level up to get the Music skill and it probably wouldn't be worth it.

If you want your Bard to study music, then s/he can probably only specialize in one of the thieving skills realistically: Locks or Pickpocketing. Logically, I took Locks, because I rarely use Pickpocket in games (Wizards & Warriors was an exception to that).

-Sazerac
Old 11-22-2001, 10:04 PM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

interesting .... just when you have me all about convinced that a bard really is worth it Saz throws me a clinker! Think what I will do (when I actually stop crafting crafting crafting and get back to bashing bashing bashing) is change my rogue to a bard and play for a while and see how I like him. (I've got bagpipes and a number of other nifty instruments already)

Now, if I could just figure out where the MUSIC skill was in the save file I could .... well you know!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 11:21 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Wyvern:
interesting .... just when you have me all about convinced that a bard really is worth it Saz throws me a clinker! Think what I will do (when I actually stop crafting crafting crafting and get back to bashing bashing bashing) is change my rogue to a bard and play for a while and see how I like him. (I've got bagpipes and a number of other nifty instruments already)

Now, if I could just figure out where the MUSIC skill was in the save file I could .... well you know!

Wyv

Hee hee...sorry about the "clinker", Wyvern...just something to consider. FWIW, as you continue to use Music, the skill increases on its own. Do change him over and see what you think. Those instruments are well worth it.

Cheers,
-Saz