Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

For those of you that I have spoken to before in a topic similar to this...do not fret. This is not the same topic!

I was wondering what type of shampoo everyone uses and why they chose what they did. Also, conditioner is on my mind, but I will get to that in a minute.

Shampoo:

I have five different kinds here at the moment.

1. Children's Suave (shampoo & conditioner in one)
2. Vo5
3. Garnier Fructis
4. Matrix
5. Tres Semme

Now, upon reading the ingredients on the back, I find it interesting to see that most of the ingredients are the same, and somewhat in the same order. The only difference is that one might offer oils, while another offers Fruit extracts. Different fruit extracts are found in different namebrands. So...how does one know if he/she wants oils or fruit mixed in with all that other stuff that actually is the soap part? The main job of the shampoo is to clean all that dirt and hairspray outta people's hair, leaving it smelling "not dirty". How would one know what the difference is in fruit abilities? And if the soap part of the ingredients are the same...why would one pay $12 for a small bottle of one mark instead of $4 for a larger bottle of a different mark? Are all shampoos not the same, except for juice and oils that does not prove that they better clean?

Conditioner:

This is where I think the real money should be spent. Buy a cheap shampoo and an expensive conditioner. Conditioners are alot different (moreso than shampoos) and offer various results. Some are made of animal fats, some with synthetic silicone-like substance, and some with fruit extracts. Some stay in and some are meant to be rinsed.
Nowadays, some companies make a 3 or four step cleaning process, which would be something like:
1. Shampoo
2. Conditioner
3. Ultra Conditioner once a week
4. Finishing spritz (or whatever).

I think it is a marketing scheme, because you really do not need the same name brand of shampoo as the conditioner you use, and buying conditioner and Ultra weekly conditioner is not smart, because if the first conditioner was not doing the job right in the first place, why buy it? Just buy the weekly one and use it twice a week.
Now, the conditioner is what gives hair that lush finsh and makes it not tangly. The wrong conditioner can make your hair too greasy, however or does nothing at all to ease the frizz. However, they now have sprays and crap that goes in dry and takes the job of easing that frizz and dryness without needing to have used any conditioner previously.

So...does anyone have any thoughts or links to where I might find the answers?

[ 01-20-2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 01-20-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

You sure you're a guy?
Old 01-20-2004, 03:50 PM   #3
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I'm still thinking about topiary for some reason.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-20-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
ROFL Mel!! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] . I'm a bit concerned by the disclaimer at the top 'For those of you that I have spoken to before in a topic similar to this...' - I can imagine some engrossing debates from that!

Anyway. I use Garnier Fructis anti-dandruff shampoo because it smells nice and it's the only anti-dandruff shampoo that isn't bright blue! What's up with that anyway? Must be the active ingredient. If you ask me, all the fruit oil rubbish is just that - makes a nice smell but probably doesn't do much else. I use Garnier Fructis hair colour usually as well, but again only because it smells better than most others and the applicator is easier to use.

I agree that shampoos aren't much different, for example I would never splurge on L'Oreal (even though I totally am worth it ). Some really really cheap ones might not be as good though.

The thing you have to remember when you're reading all the stuff they're supposed to do, is that your hair, apart from at the roots, is essentially dead. All the vitamins and minerals and so on in the world isn't going to do anything. LOL I've seen one ad for a conditioner I think that has 'scan-care' - supposedly the substance moves down the hair shaft and checks for damage and then affects just that area. Wow! A load of rubbish

For conditioner, price is a better indicator. I use Pantene or Revlon or Garnier - they all do a good job. I have a lot of hair, (although not as much as I used to) so I need a good conditioner. I use quite a bit more than they say on the pack though as well. It's magic stuff though! My hair after shampooing is totally tangled, can't even get my fingers through it, plop some conditioner on it and wait a minute, and it's tangle-free! Amazing.

To be honest, I think the ultra-conditioner and so on aren't necessary, though of course it would depend on your hair type. Products like anti-frizz and so on are useful if you need them, but you should just be guided by your own hair rather than some list of products that companies think you should follow to make a maximum profit

You could try buying some women's magazines - like Cosmo or something. They always have sections on hair care and so on and good advice on using products and how to cure frizz or dryness or something.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:12 PM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
You sure you're a guy?
I was about to ask the same thing!! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #6
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I actually don't buy the stuff they sell in the stores, just the stuff from the hair dressers (in my case, Supercuts). The brand is called Enjoy, and even though it's expensive (50$ for a large 'family size' bottle...conditioner seperate!) it does it's job well and I'm very happy with it. I did use the Aussie stuff but it dried my scalp like no ones buisness, which is naaaasty! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Honestly since using that stuff my hair is much better...cause my hair is thick, and if i get the wrong stuff it goes POOF and I have to wear my hair up between showers [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Aiela was right in suggesting buying a magazine like Cosmopolitan or Glamour or what have you, however I would advise having a female friend purchase it for you
Old 01-20-2004, 04:39 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The brand "Matrix" was from a beauty salon. It was the one that was $12.00 for a small bottle of maybe 12 oz. or something.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:54 PM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Hair :pffffttt: [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2004, 08:49 PM   #9
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:
I was wondering what type of shampoo everyone uses and why they chose what they did. Also, conditioner is on my mind, but I will get to that in a minute.
[img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

It's green, it smells nice and contains an ingredient with the longest word I've ever seen.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:55 PM   #10
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I use Suave's Coconut shampoo. I have used it for about 15 years and don't plan on changing.