Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2002, 05:57 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I bought LotR as soon as soon as it was released a few months ago, even though I knew I'd buy the Platinum Series, for it's 30 extra minutes of footage and other extras, when it came out.

I went to Amazon today, and I see there are two Platinum versions.

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Platinum Series Extended Edition) for @25, and...

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Platinum Series Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set) for @$60.

What's the real difference between the two? As far as I can tell, the Collector's Edition includes a ticket to LotR-The Two Towers, but otherwise they're the same. Am I missing something? Maybe some extra packaging?

If you've bought, or looked into buying either, please tell me which you think I should buy and why. [img]smile.gif[/img]

***In other words, save me a bunch of hassle***

[ 11-17-2002, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 11-17-2002, 06:21 PM   #2
Arvon
Unicorn

There are a couple of differences. First there are 2 book end statuettes in the packaging and there are 5 dvd's. The fifth one is a National Geographic story of the making of LOTR. Worth it? tha's what you ave to figure out. BTW Amazon.com had all this info but you really had to dig for it.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 11-17-2002, 06:51 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I just bought the cheaper of the two. I did nto need the little statues and fifth DVD. The price was above my ability. I am completely satisfied with the one I bought.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:57 PM   #4
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Working for Blockbuster, I can only echo Arvon. The extras are the Argonoth book ends and the extra DVD, plus some collector's cards as well as the ticket to the next movie. [img]smile.gif[/img]

For me, it's worth it. [img]smile.gif[/img] Being an avid reader, I can always use bookends, I LOVE collector cards and the extra DVD from National Geographic looks fascinating.

So your decision is based on a couple of things...just HOW avid a fan are you? and can you afford to pay twice as much for the extras as just the movie?

[img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:04 PM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I think all the extras sound great, but I don't think I can justify them.

The item I'm going to miss most is the National Geographic disc!!!!

Thanks Guys, and keep the comments coming.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:08 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I'm with Dragonmage. The bookends decided me. Ronn, I'll send you the 5th DVD.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:13 PM   #7
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Well, you can do that, Attalus.

Or I can see if I can burn a copy of it and send it along to you Ronn. [img]smile.gif[/img] I'll have to see if it will be protected the same way the movie will be before I try.
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:16 PM   #8
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
I think all the extras sound great, but I don't think I can justify them.

The item I'm going to miss most is the National Geographic disc!!!!

Thanks Guys, and keep the comments coming.
Ronn if I had your money I would burn mine. Go ahead and treat yourself x-mas is just around the corner.

Heck I could only afford to get the VHS
Old 11-17-2002, 07:19 PM   #9
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

Platnium for 20$? I bought regular for 40, but I guess that was Canadian and maybe you're American. Plus, that was the first day the DVD was released.
<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302</a> First 8-Bit Theater comic. The first few aren\'t really funny, but the rest are great.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:32 PM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffi0:
Platnium for 20$? I bought regular for 40, but I guess that was Canadian and maybe you're American. Plus, that was the first day the DVD was released.
I paid $24 (American) for the original release, but I'm going to sell it on Amazon when I order this one.

Attalus, thanks, but I'd hate to break up a nice set. [img]smile.gif[/img]

DM, that would be cool. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]