Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2003, 01:01 PM   #1
mabax the killer dwarf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I recently downloaded shadowkeeper, an excelently put together program bye the way (IMHO). Does anyone think it is wrong of me to increase the movement speed of my party(they are so painfully slow!!). I mean I did it anyway but it kinda felt like cheating.I guess that's kind of what everything a person can do with shadowkeeper is,but I try to keep it to a minimum.I really dwnldd it to change the portraits of my NPC's,there's something about Jaheira looking like Angelina Jolie that is, well, just right. Just looking for some opinions on the subject.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:26 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Yes my opinion is that you are cheating. Everything that you change with SK is cheating in my opinion... well not everything. If you lost an item you can try to find it and if you don`t you can either pretend that is the way it is and be more careful next time or you can cheat it into the game. But if it is plot item then I guess you can cheat it into the game.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:50 PM   #3
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
There are different levels of cheating, this "offense" is a very minor one, so don't sweat it! [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW,
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] WELCOME TO IRONWORKS, MABAX THE KILLER DWARF! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

PS. Nice, name!
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 04:31 AM   #4
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

no offense but i think it is cheating. just bare with it, its not that bad. however, the movement of your characters is a combat element aswell, hense it will advantage you in combat = cheating

you would be better off just doing it normally and have the feeling of satisfaction that you passed it normally [img]smile.gif[/img]
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 08:50 AM   #5
J'aran
Mephistopheles

You can raise the movement speed through the game's own config program as well. This will increase the movement speed of anything else too, so it'll make your party move faster without giving them an advantage in combat. Try this if you just want the game to be a bit more fast-paced.

I can't remember exactly which option it is, as it's been maybe two years since I've played, but I'm sure someone else here can point that out.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 10:08 AM   #6
mabax the killer dwarf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanx for the feedback.I never thought about getting an advantage in combat, so I guess it is more like cheating than I thought. I will maybe try and do it in the game config. program instead(didn't even look at that). The darkside IS very tempting.

thanks again.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:40 PM   #7
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Cheat all you want, as long as you're having fun. Personally I don't see much wrong with increasing your movement speed (since it's mostly about getting places quicker). Obviously if you did it just so that you could run circles around your foes in combat it would be more of a cheat.

My opinion is that the purpose of games is to have fun, so as long as you're having fun...just be careful not to overdo it; giving yourself the magical sword +25 and ring of regeneration infinity might be fun for awhile, but can ultimately make the game boring.

There's actually a lot of people out there who have made and play with mods that make the game harder, so that after beating it a few times, there are some new challenges. As long as you can make the game fun, modify it however you want!*

*forgoing statements do NOT apply to multiplayer games
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 01:24 AM   #8
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Increasing movement rate might increase your number of attacks per round. It also lets you run away faster from enemies. If you want a faster pace, get boots of speed. If you go through ToB, you can easily get 6 boots of speed, but that takes a while . Just use the haste or improved haste spell

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:11 AM   #9
Link
Jack Burton

Xen: if you lost an item and can't find it, you lost that item... period. You cannot pretend to have found it, because then it's still cheating. If it wasn't cheating you could also "pretend" your characters were walking faster. No big deal that way.

Shadowkeeper is good for solving problems, bugs and stuff like that (when you don't get an item which you should've gotten anyway).

To answer your question, mabax the killer dwarf (love your name, btw, sounds like a bad teenage slasher movie ): there are enough Boots of Speed in the game to give your entire party better movement speed.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:11 AM   #10
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
To be blatantly frank, I see cheating as spoiling the challenge and the essence of an RPG experience. Attempting to defeat the odds naturally and to grow to cherish our characters through merit and dedication I think should really give far more fulfillment in the long run than playing for lesser godmodes
You get potent enough in ToB as it is!

No offense to those who do it of course, but I just think it defeats the purpose of roleplaying and gaming in general.

[ 01-02-2004, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote