Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 08-27-2006, 04:54 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Actually, I think it's a mob of people, running through the streets and coming dangerously close. The reason for this uproar? System Shock 2, apparantely one of the best games to date, is now freeware. Link:
http://www.ferrago.com/story/1686 or http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=3924
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:39 AM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Halleluja brother!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

What's this apparently one of the best games to date. It IS! Highly polished with intense atmosphere and a great story. This was the forerunner to Dues Ex and IMO the much better game of the two. Unfortunately it was a commercial flop but i'm buggered if i can see why. It's quality from start to finish and the Assault rifle is actually an Assault rifle, as opposed to the "assault-occasioning-harm" rifle that we see in so many other 1st person games. (Dues Ex, Halo, Doom 3 etc.)
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

All is well and good, but dontcha be dissing my Deus Ex. The only thing SS2 had over Deus Ex is that it was scarry at times. Not a better atmosphere, but scarrier. And the Deus Ex assault rifle becomes something really dangerous with 5 clip and accuracy mods.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:10 PM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
All is well and good, but dontcha be dissing my Deus Ex. The only thing SS2 had over Deus Ex is that it was scarry at times. Not a better atmosphere, but scarrier. And the Deus Ex assault rifle becomes something really dangerous with 5 clip and accuracy mods.
I agree, SS2 was scary, but it was no Deus Ex [img]smile.gif[/img]

But anyways...

Halleluja!
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:27 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I have Deuz Ex, but for some reason never got farther than the second level. I downoaded SS2, maybe that will get me into it.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:51 AM   #7
Sever

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Purleeez. It's a rapid fire Tickle-Me-Elmo gun. No gun that requires an entire clip be emptied at close range to kill a target deserves to be called an assault rifle... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 08-28-2006, 03:58 AM   #8
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

ARs with master Rifle and 5 accuracy mods kill commandos with 10 bullets. A commando is armored after all.
The thing about Deus Ex's weapons, is once you get them they're utter shyte. Then you invest some points into the weapon group, some mods into the weapon, and pretty soone you're like "OMG This sniper rifle can shoot down turrets and cameras!1!"
Old 08-28-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
Sever

I didn't mean to spark a debate [img]smile.gif[/img] but...

The non-stealth pistol (at any and all comparable stages of modding) was, round for round, more powerful than the AR and more effective as a weapon. It didn't make sense to me then and it still doesn't now. Halo was even worse for this. 5 or 6 bullets from the pistol was as effective as 60 bullets from the AR. WTF? System Shock's bullet weapons (although they couldn't be modded to the same extent) were much more satisfying.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 08-28-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

A 10mm pistol more powerful than a 5.56(or even 7.62) bullet? No... How can it be!?
If I play a game in which the assault rifle or SMG is more powerful round for round than the pistol(not counting peashooters), I'll say the game outright sucks.
If you want something bigger than the pistol, but retain assault capabilities, you take the AutoShotgun. 1 Sabot center mass kills commandos, even MiBs.
And Luvian, you, are like, missing one of the best games of the millenium. Go play Deus Ex. Now!

[ 08-28-2006, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Bozos of Bones ]