Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2002, 08:38 AM   #1
jellylad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all again.

just a quick post for peoples opinions about using cursed weapons (and other equipment for that matter). People seem to suggest giving bloodlust to a samurai. All well and good. Except I tend to avoid using cursed weapons (dunno why).

Do people tend to use cursed items happily and then remove them at a later date? Am i just being dead feeble in avoiding them altogether?
jellylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 09:01 AM   #2
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

*Cursed* weapons is a little bit misleading, *Unremovable* better discribes them. Their drawback is that the character will not be able to swap between, in your case for example, Bloodlust and a bow.

Being worth it or not really depends on the weapon and the circumstances. I'll say Bloodlust to a low level Samurai is definetly worth it. The Samurai can always use spells when enemies are at long range.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:08 AM   #3
Erydian
Manshoon

Cursed weapons can be removed if you have a bishop in your party (they get this as a special ability), or if you have someone capable of casting "Remove Curse" (or using a scroll works too). Simply target the individual wielding the cursed item and use the ability (for bishops, enter the inventory screen, press the button, and click on the target character) or cast the spell/use the scroll.

So, feel free to experiment with cursed weapons to your heart's desire, providing you make sure you have a method of removing it should you decide to later. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Note: Occasionally, a bishop will fail to successfully remove curse (I believe this has something to do with their artifacts skill), or a spell can be unsuccessful, but you can always try again.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:14 AM   #4
Thumper
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Warhammer is correct for the most part, the 'curse' usually means something cannot be removed. Most mages can pick up the remove curse fairly early though, so it is a moot point. There are, however, truly cursed weapons you can find - the Staff of Doom being one. This causes 1D every few seconds which is kind of annoying. Had it one my Faerie mage and it damn near killed her until I unequiped it after a battle.

My level 18 Samurai still uses Bloodlust and I have my rogue using 2 thieves daggers to great effect.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:23 AM   #5
fable
Quintesson

I only wish Sir-Tech had included a simple way of permitting Bishops to temporarily remove a weapon's curse during battle, and allow the wielder to take another. If you don't have the two actions occur in the same round, and you don't access the Bishop first, the weapon will remain welded to its owner, and you've wasted a round.

But I do like several of those cursed weapons. I tend to use 'em when I know missiles aren't going to do much damage, and melee power is required.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 12:52 PM   #6
MaskedFrog
Drow Warrior

I have used and will continue to use "Cursed" weapons. My Bishop still uses the Staff of Doom. You can overcome the negative aspects by equipping other items in the game. The only flexibility lost by using a cursed weapon is the ability to switch weapons. Bloodlust is an awewome weapon up to the mid game. My Samurai used Bloodlust until I found Fang at about level 15.

In the final analysis, you have to way the benefits of the cursed item with its disadvantages.
MaskedFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 08:10 PM   #7
vesselle
Hathor

a nice way to work around the curse of being unable to use bows is to instead teach your fighters and fighter/hybrids to use a sling. learning throwing/sling allows you to successfully use bombs, tossed potions and bags of dust.

this way you don't waste precious points on a bow skill that will become unusable, yet you still have the skill to mete out long-range damage. plus with all the dusts, bombs and pots available in the game, why not use them?

personally, i think the curse of the cursed items is only detrimental if you don't take advantage of it and use it to help your group.

V***V
Old 01-16-2002, 12:30 AM   #8
Strider_314
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What actually happens when you cast a remove curse spell on an object that a character is stuck holding?

Does it remove it to the players backpack, but the curse status of the item remains? ie if you equip it again, it gets stuck again.

Or does it just negate the cursed property of the item and you use it normally (somehow I doubt that )
Old 01-16-2002, 01:24 AM   #9
fable
Quintesson

The curse is temporarily removed, and the item stays in the character's hand. You can then move it to inventory. If you leave it in place, after a while the curse takes hold, again. (I can't tell you how long.) And if you place it in the inventory and immediately reequip it, the curse also takes effect once more.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 02:23 PM   #10
Thumper
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by MaskedFrog:
I have used and will continue to use "Cursed" weapons. My Bishop still uses the Staff of Doom. You can overcome the negative aspects by equipping other items in the game. The only flexibility lost by using a cursed weapon is the ability to switch weapons. Bloodlust is an awewome weapon up to the mid game. My Samurai used Bloodlust until I found Fang at about level 15.

In the final analysis, you have to way the benefits of the cursed item with its disadvantages.

Hmm. Three questions - what items did you equip to negate the 1d per second of the Staff o' Doom? Is there an equivalent 1hp per second Socks o' Regen I have missed?

Also, I have Fang, but gave it to my Lord to use. I find the Samurai does a lot more damage in Beserk mode. Did you notice that Fang was a better weapon for a Samurai?

Lastly, does using a cursed sword like Bloodlust not allow you to equip a second blade? My Sam has the enchanted whatsitz in his other hand and I assumed he was hitting with it, never paid much attention. I know if I equip him with one of the speed or dex shields, he gains that benefit even whilst holding onto the cursed blade...

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Thumper ]