Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-13-2003, 12:58 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I heeded the call to buy food and drink for a few days today. Didn't manage to get the duct tape though.

I spoke to a number of people for whom fear of our city being wiped out is a very real backdrop of stress on our daily lives. I spoke to a girl who was very afraid. A couple of co-workers who also were afraid. We all know that in Manhattan we're kind of like sitting ducks. The closer we are to huge public areas the more likely we're in trouble.

I'm doing my best to allay those fears in people I come across. It's easier if the person knows Jesus Christ. "Where oh death is your victory. Where oh death is your sting". The worst case scenario will not be a problem for me. I know where I'm going..

Anyhow we could have our number up at any time. Hit by a car, medical prob. Accident. You never know whow much time you have. I'm working on being grateful for every additional moment and enjoying the people I'm with. The stuff I'm experiencing. I'm appreciating every minute of this life.

I heard today that many other cities are being given similar terror warnings. Sydney included.

Here many have contigency plans. If a bridge gets taken out, the Island will be closed. No in or out. Those who live off Manhattan will need to find alternatives if they're stuck in it. And vice versa.

I'm not going to let it change what I do. I'll prepare by buying food and water etc. But I will not be governed by fear and negative impetus. I will live like each day is my last, but plan like I'll live forever. [img]smile.gif[/img]

So to whomever reads this: May God keep you safe no matter where you are nor what you believe. May you be filled with a ray of comfort when fear and despair surround you. May you always cling on for another day, simply to see what it has to offer you. May you not be ruled by fear and trepidation during this time of uncertainty, but instead by love, by wonderment and gratitude for each day, by acceptance of mortality and a delight in what you have in your life at this very moment. Right now.

I wish you all the very best. God bless you.

Hugh

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 02-13-2003, 01:29 AM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Stay safe my friend!

We have local New York channels here (WNBC 4) and I watched today 3 different stopped trucks and they closed entire highways...

SOMETHING is happening.. they are expecting something. I see signs that this is REALLY serious this time. I hope nothing happens, and they catch these fanatic pricks..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 02-13-2003, 01:47 AM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Every time a subway stops or goes slow there is unease. I travel under the east river to get into Manhattan. Yesterday was so slow. No local trains were running in one section of Manhattan the night before because of "an incident". Not good for the nerves.

A mate told me today how he was on a subway, and a fellow in full Osama-like regalia, beard and all, got on with a BRIEFCASE. Was he mad or what? The whole train bored a hole in his head with their eyes, watching his every move. I mean surely, surely given all the warnings you could alter your appearance just SLIGHTLY so that you don't look like Osama carrying a briefcase on a subway. Sheesh...

Thanks for your well wishes Dan.

Oh PM me your email addy again mate, and I'll send some more tunes. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 02-13-2003, 01:51 AM   #4
wellard
Dracolisk

Now I know this is cynical and if you disagree feel free to flame me (i can take it) But these "increased security concerns" have occured at a most opertune time. Public support is waining, UN getting more divided ect.

I hope Im right, which means that there is no recent terroist plans.

It is good to see that you are talking a positive outlook Yorick.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 02-13-2003, 02:05 AM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Now I know this is cynical and if you disagree feel free to flame me (i can take it) But these "increased security concerns" have occured at a most opertune time. Public support is waining, UN getting more divided ect.

Oh come on. Please don't derail his thread.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 02-13-2003, 02:14 AM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:

Oh come on. Please don't derail his thread.[/QUOTE]No intention of Ziroc. I started to compose before I read Yorick 2nd post. It is obvious to me now that I got the wrong end of the stick or was just reading into it something that has been on the back of my mind this last day.

So apoligies to all.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 02-13-2003, 02:28 AM   #7
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Great post, great thoughts Hugh! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Take care bro, stay safe and well.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:24 AM   #8
Moiraine
Anubis

Thoughtful and caring as ever, Yorick. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I would like to add this : whatever rumors and dissensions and name-calling you read or hear, remember always that fear and hate are the very things that terrorists wish us to feel and fall to. Please don't let them achieve their goal. Please.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:26 AM   #9
MagiK

You know, I have been listening to all the latest advice about terror preparedness...and it sounds exactly like the things I was always taught to do as a matter of course. Extra non-perishable food, several days water at least, blankets, flashlights, battery or crank powered radios...heck thats just standard blizzard gear in some places. Im not exactly sure what the big craze for duct tape is, but it is a useful material....but if you duct tape your self into a room so that no bacteria can get into you....yer gonna suffocate in a couple of hours any way.

Old 02-13-2003, 10:29 AM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Keep safe Hugh! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I saw a video clip of people "stocking up" on vital supplies during a news story. One guy had a grocery cart full of water, batteries, and beer. He said he wanted to be prepared for anything. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]