Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2001, 11:17 AM   #1
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

...over and over again.
But if I turn off the TV I feel like a traitor.
Then I read some of the stuff posted in some of the threads, and I wonder if we are not all potential terrorists.
Some of you make me afraid.
Some of you are just wonderful.
Most of you are just normal people like me who feel confused and worried and destabilised.
We are all so helpless in the face of inflexible fanaticism. Let us not become fanatics too.

------------------

Old 09-12-2001, 02:41 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Fljotsdale - I think I have seen video of those pictures again and again as well, as it is on amost every TV channel. So I can't really avoid it without just turning the TV totally off, which I won't do, because on the other hand I feel a very concerned NEED to know what has happened. But again, on yet another hand, I would be happy to never have to witness such horror again for the rest of my life

------------------
Old 09-12-2001, 02:47 PM   #3
G'kar

Yes, even though it makes me sick, The news of survivors being pulled from the rubble keeps my tv on. Also there is alot of local news activity around Boston, concerning the hunt people who helped those responsible. They have made at least Three arrests at a Boston hotel and have found evidence in several other locations. As for the fanatical and insensitive people, I can only pray for them.

Old 09-12-2001, 03:20 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
Yes, even though it makes me sick, The news of survivors being pulled from the rubble keeps my tv on. Also there is alot of local news activity around Boston, concerning the hunt people who helped those responsible. They have made at least Three arrests at a Boston hotel and have found evidence in several other locations. As for the fanatical and insensitive people, I can only pray for them.
I didn't know that G'kar. I had heard that they were investigating in Boston, looking for "witnesses" that may know who was responsible. I guess if they have arrested three people, they must be much more than just "witnesses". Good, I hope they are able to find out who did this!

------------------
Old 09-12-2001, 03:46 PM   #5
Moni

I keep the television on because I need to hear what is going on.
I don't look at it.
I can't.
I haven't seen much of the coverage of the devastation, the dead, the wounded. I know what happened because I saw the towers burning and the first on collapse as I tried to grasp what was going on in my initial discovery of what was happening. I don't need to see more...I have heard broadcasts telling their viewers to look the other way this morning if they may be sensitive to the subject before they broadcast footage and still images of close to 100 people jumping to their deaths to escape the flames and smoke. It sickens me to know what a role the media plays in society's need to see it.
I made a casual remark to Rex last night about how post cards with pictures of the WTC towers in NYC would be selling like hotcakes...how sad it is that people would rush to have a piece of the tragedy. It did not suprise me later on to hear a news report stating just that.
It is part of human nature to be inquisitive, but for us to be conditioned to having to watch it over and over is sad indeed.

I hope I was not one of the people here that made you afraid, dear friend.
As much as I have my own personal and sometimes negative views of the way this country is run and the things that go on, my moral fiber does not allow me to act in anything more than self-defense.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-12-2001, 04:26 PM   #6
Fljotsdale

Not you, Moni, no.

Just some things some people said are so vicious and sick... understandable... but nonetheless sick. I had to pull out of one thread fast... maybe the person didn't mean what I thought, but I couldn't stay to check it out.

------------------

Old 09-12-2001, 04:31 PM   #7
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Not you, Moni, no.

Just some things some people said are so vicious and sick... understandable... but nonetheless sick. I had to pull out of one thread fast... maybe the person didn't mean what I thought, but I couldn't stay to check it out.

I understand.
It can be terrifying to see people's initial reactions to violence of such a magnitude as what happened here yesterday.
I'm sorry you were frightened!

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-12-2001, 05:12 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
...over and over again.
But if I turn off the TV I feel like a traitor.
Then I read some of the stuff posted in some of the threads, and I wonder if we are not all potential terrorists.
Some of you make me afraid.
Some of you are just wonderful.
Most of you are just normal people like me who feel confused and worried and destabilised.
We are all so helpless in the face of inflexible fanaticism. Let us not become fanatics too.

If you are referring to the remarks made by Jake in the "Afghanistan" thread, Fljotsdale, I can reassure you that Ziroc has banned him from posting here any more. IW absolutely does not tolerate things like that...utter cruelty.

------------------
Old 09-12-2001, 05:15 PM   #9
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Yea, I Understand, you have to watch, or you feel like your being disrespectful, but after i'd watched for about 2 hours, i turned it off, but i didnt want to

------------------

I Am... The Bad Dude
Old 09-12-2001, 05:16 PM   #10
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
If you are referring to the remarks made by Jake in the "Afghanistan" thread, Fljotsdale, I can reassure you that Ziroc has banned him from posting here any more. IW absolutely does not tolerate things like that...utter cruelty.
It wasn't Jake, Saz. It was in another thread, I think. I don't want to go check it out. I may have misunderstood, anyway, as I said to Moni.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 09-12-2001).]