Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-14-2001, 01:10 AM   #21
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Burrtoe:
I thought detect illusion would let you see through illusion/phantasm spells, such as simulacrum. Is that right?

The Toe
i wish this were the case.

logically, if this were so, detecting illusions would based more on INT/WIS rather than a thief skill. cant recall off the top of my head but i believe 2nd edition rules did have something like that along the lines of 19 INT sees through 1st level illusion spells, 20 sees through 2nd, etc.

in any case, they split stealth into two different abilities even though one without the other is useless (takes the average of the two), and find traps, open locks, and set traps always get my points before i would bother with "detect hidden doors which will eventually show up anyway".

Old 09-14-2001, 04:16 AM   #22
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

detect illusion is pure uselessness.

so 'hide in shadows' and 'move silently' are the same thing? It just takes an average score? Thats something I always wondered.. Good thing I gave decent points to each.
Old 09-14-2001, 04:23 AM   #23
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by floyd:
detect illusion is pure uselessness.

so 'hide in shadows' and 'move silently' are the same thing? It just takes an average score? Thats something I always wondered.. Good thing I gave decent points to each.
i think they did this so that each one could be modified seperately and then averaged, so things like illumination and cover could affect HS and background noise and walking surface could affect MS.