Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-24-2002, 01:47 AM   #1
Kikakee
Dungeon Master

Back in BG1, Imoen used to be a strait thief. For the purposes of BG2, the creators changed her into a thief who dueled to a mage. I was thinking: "Is it technically considered a cheat if I used shadowkeeper to put her back to a strait thief?" I mean it's not like I want to change her stats or change her to a fighter or anything. I just would like her back to the way I left her in BG!!
Kikakee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 01:57 AM   #2
Mourn Yauntyyr
The Magister

I would consider it shooting yourself in the foot. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I mean, Imoen is the best mage in the game, next to Edwin. Her thief skills make her more useful. She can disarm just about any trap, can scout invisibly with find traps on, and can either pick locks or cast knock on them. So her thief skills are adequate, and her mage skills provide the party with a lot of needed firepower. Why would you want to change her?

Mourn Yauntyyr
Old 01-24-2002, 02:46 AM   #3
Jan

Yep. Don't do it. She rocks in ToB.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:35 AM   #4
fable
Quintesson

If you want to do it, do it: you bought the game, you can change it however you wish. It doesn't seem like cheating to me, provided you don't alter her stats or give her additional thieving levels. But again, that's something for you to decide.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 04:20 AM   #5
D*Ranged

quote:
Originally posted by Kikakee:
Back in BG1, Imoen used to be a strait thief. For the purposes of BG2, the creators changed her into a thief who dueled to a mage. I was thinking: "Is it technically considered a cheat if I used shadowkeeper to put her back to a strait thief?" I mean it's not like I want to change her stats or change her to a fighter or anything. I just would like her back to the way I left her in BG!!

She's more useful as a dualled mage from thief, but then again it's your choice. Do as you wish. Personally though I wouldn't.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:48 AM   #6
Kikakee
Dungeon Master

Well, my PC is a mage, so her casting ability is pretty much worthless to me. The only time I use it is to summon monsters before a battle, and for identifying items. I have her equiped with "the night's gift +5" (AC 3 leather armor) which negates her mage spells during battle anyway. I use her as one of my ranged attackers... not a caster.
Kikakee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 12:14 PM   #7
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

It's not necessarily cheating, as long as you don't turn her into some 1000 hit point person, lol!

However, I like to change her appearance to a Mage Human Female instead of a Thief Human Female, mainly because that makes more sense to me.
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 09:24 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I'd say go ahead & change her--in BG1, she was one of the best Thieves in the game....then you hit BG2 and NOT ANYMORE! She sucks as a Thief now: Doesn't have 100% in anything. I would either
A) Edit her character to be an exact match of however you had her at the end of BG1 (whether you Dualed her to Mage or not), or
B) Move her Thieving Skills around so she has 100% in Find Traps, Pick Locks, and the rest in Set Traps or Detect Illusion, and make her a Swashbuckler.

I'm not a moron who screws up his characters, and I don't appreciate BioWare screwing up Imoen FOR me.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:26 PM   #9
Mourn Yauntyyr
The Magister

Oh well that changes things entirely, since you are playing a mage. In PnP AD&D, you have members of the party that suit your needs (generally speaking). Therefore switching Imoen to a straight thief is like having one of your friends play a thief. I see no problem with it, as like I said before, you are really making her less powerful than more so. Hopefully this absolves your conscience [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mourn Yauntyyr
Elderboy, Qu'ellar Yauntyyr
The City of Tzach Neveril

Proud member of the Anti-Anomen League.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:30 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Just out of curiosity:

I'm playing BG:TOTSC right now (already finished one game of BG2:SoA and starting ToB soon). I've just dualled Imoen in BG1 to a Conjurer rather than a straight mage. When I go to BG2, will she remain a conjurer or will it reset her to what the preset for BG2 is?

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote