Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2000, 12:07 AM   #1
Merc Widowmaker

Huh ? I can play single player with more then one character ? I dont think you understood my question. Can I port a single player game (IE: In chapter three) to a multiplayer game and continue from chapter 3?

Old 12-05-2000, 08:45 AM   #2
Merc Widowmaker

I want to add a thief to my current single player game. Is there a way to port the game to multiplayer ? And play it multiplayer ? Could I port it back with two characters ... ie the one I have now and the thief ?

"Gotta get me a sneaky backstabbing like minded partner I can trust !"

Old 12-05-2000, 11:31 AM   #3
Sebastian_Kell

you can transfer any single player character by exporting him this alows for multiplayer use. To go the other way requries you to make as many characters as you want in multiplayer and then import them to single player, however you must start at the begining.

If you really don't want to start at the begining again use the Shadow master and edit a NPC to the character you want.

Old 12-05-2000, 01:56 PM   #4
Merc Widowmaker

Merc casts "StoneSkin"
Merc casts "StoneSkin"
Merc casts "StoneSkin"
Merc Casts "Mirror Image"
Merc Casts "Minor Gobe of Invulnrability"
Merc goes upstairs ang kills all who dare to oppose him.
Celestial Fury sings, Derth Zarkons blade humms and the foes fall like sheefs of corn to a scyth.

Old 12-05-2000, 04:36 PM   #5
Ronn

Your single player save game files are located at "c:\program files\black isle\BGII - SoA\save" and your multiplayer save game files are at "c:\program files\black isle\BGII - SoA\mpsave".

If you haven't played any multiplayer games, you won't have a "mpsave" folder, so either start a multiplayer game and save it (which will cause the game to create this folder), or just create the "mpsave" folder in the location named above.

You can copy games from one to the other and back again, thereby switching from single to multiplayer mode. You CAN play alone under multiplayer.

Now, to answer your question about adding a character to your single player game, in 10 EASY STEPS.

First, copy your saved game from the "save" folder to the "mpsave" folder.
Second, start the game in multiplayer mode.[(I choose TCP/IP connection). Name your session, list your player name, but don't add password(u can, but why?). Choose load game.]
Third, either create the new character you want at the permissions page, or import him/her into one of the slots.
Fourth, click the checkmark beside each character to accept.
Fifth, start the multiplayer game.
Sixth, immediately save your game.
Seventh, quit the game.
Eighth, copy this save game from the "mpsave" file to the "save" file.
Ninth, reload BGII under single player mode.
Tenth, enjoy your new character!

***if you want to stay in multiplayer mode you can (stop at step six), but I don't think there is a benefit***

A nice added bonus to this is being able to edit NPCs. I've heard you can't use Shadowkeeper. After moving a single player game to multiplayer, loading, and saving, you can edit NPCs even if you move the save back to the single player folder. Just remember, if you add a new NPC you will have to take your save to "mpsave" , load and save to edit him/her.

Old 12-05-2000, 04:46 PM   #6
Ronn

You can use the above listed method to make all player characters in a single player game, and you don't have to start over. You start where the save you're working with leaves off.

I have 3 player characters in my single player game and have a friend who has all six player characters, but this makes it impossible for him to pick up NPCs. Actually, 3 makes it kinda hard, but two is perfect.

If for some reason you need to drop one of your player characters, export him first!!! He/she will not meet you somewhere later, he/she will disappear. I learned this going to the Druid Grove. I didn't have room for Cerynd the Druid, so I dropped my guy and he disappeared forever! I went back to an earlier save, exported him, picked up the Druid did the mission and imported him again. And I used Shadowkeeper to give him the XP he missed...haha

Old 12-06-2000, 03:33 AM   #7
Merc Widowmaker

Thanx all ... youre help has been greatly appretiated

It worked like a charm and now I have a decent thief !