Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2003, 08:50 AM   #1
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Just curious. It's not really an easy thing to do, I think, unless you directly compare men to women.

In fact, do you think you could describe masculine behaviour without a feminine foil?

Either way, what do you think?
Old 07-06-2003, 09:27 AM   #2
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Exclamation

have no clue
Old 07-06-2003, 10:34 AM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

Only on a hormonal level
Old 07-06-2003, 10:52 AM   #4
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Masculinity: possessing an XY genotype

Feminity: possessing an XX genotype

All else is cultural. Well, except an excessive interest in shoes.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:36 AM   #5
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Can you be more specific on what you're asking?
Old 07-06-2003, 12:12 PM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

Now now Att, you're forgetting that the presence of testosteron during the foetal stage will change what would genetically be a female into something looking and acting like a man, and that a lack of it in one with the Y chromosome will do exactly the opposite.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:48 PM   #7
Zero Alpha

Masculinity: constant urge to have sex and destroy things
Old 07-06-2003, 01:56 PM   #8
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I have to agree with Attalus. Male and Female are genetically determined but masculinity and femeninity is a societal convention and perception. Now saying that, I do believe that hormones contributed to some traits in males and females. I believe that testoterone makes males "tends" to be more aggressive; estrogen "tends" to make females more nuturinb. But that is just a tendency, not engraved in stone and we all know vest exceptions to this.

Much the same with male and female "roles." What ti hell is a female or male role? Just things that society has decided should be. They should just be "people roles."
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 07-06-2003, 07:46 PM   #9
Lavindathar
Harper

It is all social.

I've got both ears pierced, my left one twice (once at the bottom once at the top), now in England having the right ear pierced is meant to be a sign of being gay. So i get some stick from it, and I also wear some gay-ish clothes, (vests, light blue stuff), and I have a tattoo on the bottom of my back, which is considered a womans place. So all in all, my attributes make me very feminine.

But I've had enough ladies to last me a lifetime, and am now happily settled down with the current one.

And never a single gay experiance.

So you cant judge it, you'd probably be wrong.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:34 PM   #10
Zero Alpha

sofar as i can see socitiy has got it all wrong. steriotypes should not be enforced by taunting or such as it is upto each person to decide what they will be. eg the right ear ring thing is totaly an english (maby american) steriotype. im sure in other cultures the more earings a bloke has in either ear the better. masculinity and femininty are also steriotypes for kinds of men and women. just because a woman learns to box would make her 'mascuine' even thoough in reality she may still be the most efeminate woman you ever met. and of corse in reality weather she is either shouldnt matter, as only who *she* specifiacly is should matter.

summary: its the person that matters not the steriotype

(not bad for 1:30 am) [img]graemlins/goodmorning.gif[/img]