Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2002, 11:48 AM   #11
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
Well, Christmas was good and my daughter got spoiled, but that's nothing new. Hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas.
{snippage}
Am I wrong? I just can't bring myself to celebrate something that I don't believe in just to receive material possesions. This year my daughter gave me my standard yearly tie, a bath robe and a few ornaments that she made in school. The ornaments were the greatest part, because I know it came from her heart.
I suppose I'm looking for a few objective opinions from people who don't really know me that well (that's your cue, everyone!) Am I wrong in not wanting to be hypocritcal?
It's commendable that you don't want to be a hypocrite (for your daughter's sake, if nothing else) but your focus doesn't have to be about Christ's birthday, but instead be about celebrating family and friends. Take the gifts for what they really mean, a gesture from friends. If it stills bothers you, just remember that Christmas time is still celebrated by social groups other than christians, it's called winter solstice. In fact, it's accepted by most historians that Jesus's birth was in March, early christians celebrated it on winter solstice to avoid scrutiny by the romans.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:07 PM   #12
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Christmas is not just about a religion anymore. There are, in my view, 2 Christmases. There is the CHrist child birth celebration - and by the way, the day to celebrate it on was arbitrarily picked and actually based on an Egyptian holiday rather than when Christ was born (which is unknown). Then there is the modern day consumer culture gluttonous overbuying overeating overdrinking (yeah [img]smile.gif[/img] ) bullshit that is the holiday season.

As was noted above, the Christ child bit did not begin as a gift giving thing, and the story of the Magi is at best a loose connection to gift giving that was made as an afterthought justification.

But, I take this time of year for what it's worth. I take vacation, visit family, pack on pounds, guzzle scotch, and spend s**tloads of money. Why not - if the world has invented an excuse for us all I'll buy into it and let my id monster run amuck with the rest for a bit.

Plus, especially in a year like this, I revel in my decadence while remaining satisfied that I have fulfilled my civic duty to the world. Stores make 80% of their profits in December, with months 1-11 merely paying the year's bills for the most part. The economy in a world so capable of hyper-production is absolutely reliant on hyper-consumption to balance it all out - just ask J.M. Keynes (oops - he's dead, oh well).

Sure, all this trash and leftover computer and electronic bullshit that got outdated 6 mos. after production will likely bury us in a greasy dinosaur-bone-fuel drenched waste pit that one day consumes us all - not to mention the mounds and mounds of unused clothes that were (and MUST MUST be, to support the economy - see above) tossed out, given away, used as a goodwill tax deduction, or turned into carwash rags - all of which may just one day come to life, rise from the ashes like a perverted phoenix, and go a-slouching toward Bethlehem like some new wave Gap-wearing oil-soaked retro-Barbie-Bohemian monster straight out of Yates's worst Catholicism-induced nightmares.

But, in the end we're all dead anyway.

And that's why I celebrate Christmas, aetheist that I am. [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2002, 07:57 PM   #13
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I had a very comfortable relaxed christmas and the only gift I got was some fun time with the people I love...

ok I also got a Trigun box set... not that i'm complaining...
Old 12-27-2002, 11:21 PM   #14
Animal
Gold Dragon

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I was also under the impression the Christmas was celebrating the birth of Christ, the wise men bearing gifts and all, hence my apprehension to partake in something I don't believe.
Ladyzekke, I wouldn't mind seeing that video of you s**tkicking Santa! That sounds quite funny!