Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 05-26-2003, 06:07 PM   #1
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Could someone clarify what's happening with two spells I've bought?

I'm a Battle Mage and have 50 in all 6 spell realms. My Intelligence is somewhere in the 60-70s. Birthsign is the Atronach.

Charming Touch (Illusion) is shown as a 225 cost but a zero chance to cast it. I also have Wild Levitation (Alteration) which is a 115 cost and also a zero chance to cast it. All of my other spells have chances of casting from 50ish to 100. Needless to say I have sufficient Magicka to cast these spells (approx 250-260 Magicka).

I'm sure I've used the Charm spell in my other game to boost a person's appreciation of me. Is it a bug?

Any help gratefully received. Thanks.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:42 PM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Krull what is your current magicka total? With atronach as your sign you can only use potions and items to refill magicka, resting won't work. IF you have insufficient magicka you will have 0% likelyhood to cast the spell. Make sure you actually have the magicka to spend on the spells. Also for the spell costs listed even at 50 in the particular schools you would have a low likelyhood of success. Illusion is based off of your Personality score. Alteration has to do with Willpower. Only Conjuration is affected by Intelligence. Everything I have not listed is affected by Willpower like alteration. Intelligence is really only going to help you with casting capacity, not effectivness.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:45 AM   #3
B_part
Quintesson

Effectiveness in casting spells comes from your skill in the affected spell school. Perhaps your skill isn't up to the expectations: it has happened to me with non magic chars who bought spells for enchantment: their chance of success was exactly zero. The spells you named should be pretty advanced, given the mana requirements, and that explains their difficulty. Advance in those skills.

As to calm, IIRC there is a sign which allows you to cast it as a natural ability: maybe you used that in your previous gaming expereinces, or maybe you used a less effective spell, like calm humanoid or calm creature, which are more speciific, less useful and hence less difficult.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:43 AM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

It's not a bug check these following and see why you fail

1) check your respective magic skill, the higher the more successful you are.

2) check your stat, as Firestormalpha said the magic skills also governed by your stat, the higher the stat the more successful you are.

3) check you magicka, the more magicka you have the better.

4) maybe you have been silenced. wait for a while and the spell will be off.

[ 05-27-2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 11:51 AM   #5
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

I completely forgot that Illusion and Alteration (the schools that governs these spells) were Personality and Willpower based. These are low as I've realised, as Kakero and Sever said in an earlier thread that, as a Battle Mage I've been using melee skills more. Therefore I've been concentrating on getting my other skills, like Agility, Strength and Endurance up and not bothering with Willpower and Personality.

The other character I'm running is a female Breton Alchemist who is, of course, more magic oriented so have been putting level up points in Intelligence, Willpower and Personality.

Doh, I feel silly not realising this was the obvious reason. Oh well, mystery solved, I think.

Thanks everybody for your help.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote