Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2004, 11:05 PM   #11
Nerull
Lord Ao

Yes, I can also confirm that you get both types of spells, regardless of when you dual from ranger to cleric (even one level of ranger is enough). If you start as a ranger, go to the priest spell screen. You'll notice that the screen is not greyed out like it is for fighters, thieves, etc. That is because they already have access to all of the druid spells; they are just not high enough level to get slots yet (thus the reason no spells show up). However, the moment you get the cleric spell slots, you now have slots for the level, so once your ranger class reactivates, you get the access to all the druid spells again. Good to dual early if you want to play a cleric with both druid and cleric spells (i.e. not worried about fighting ability). Personally, I play through the entire series a lot of times, so I usually multiclass.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:40 PM   #12
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

So wait. Right now, I've got a level 2 ranger. You're saying that I can dual him to a cleric, and then once I become a level 3 cleric, I can continue to learn Druid and Cleric spells?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 09:02 PM   #13
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The fact that the character is a Ranger (no matter just how much/little Ranger there is) means the character has access to the Druid half of the Priest scroll.

The fact that the character is a Cleric means that the character's spellslots are exactly the same as a Cleric of the same level.

So, yes, a Ranger->Cleric will continue to learn high-level Druid spells in addition to his Cleric spells, even if his Ranger half is below Level 8.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:30 AM   #14
Nerull
Lord Ao

Sad

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
So wait. Right now, I've got a level 2 ranger. You're saying that I can dual him to a cleric, and then once I become a level 3 cleric, I can continue to learn Druid and Cleric spells?
Exactly, just like Six stated. Your ranger level doesn't matter; you just have to have at least one level. That's why I stated if you want to play a character that is a priest with the ability to use both cleric and druid spells (i.e. you could care less about fighting ability), then just start as a ranger, dual at first opportunity, and once you get to one level above as a cleric you are all set. If you are concerned about your fighting ability, then I would multiclass; you'll go up slower in levels, but you won't sacrifice fighting ability.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 03-17-2004, 06:13 PM   #15
Lord

Guess who just got his copy of ToTSC?

Anyway, I've currently got a level 2 ranger that is going to go through all the way through ToB. I want to dual to a cleric, but I want to dual at a level where it's 'safe' enough to get back my spells, but not too early for me to reach the 8 million xp cap. I'll be running through the whole thing with a party this time, though, so that will make a big difference. And seeing how I've never played ToTSC before, I don't know how much XP is available there. So when's a good time to dual?

Old 03-17-2004, 09:36 PM   #16
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:

Anyway, I've currently got a level 2 ranger that is going to go through all the way through ToB. I want to dual to a cleric, but I want to dual at a level where it's 'safe' enough to get back my spells, but not too early for me to reach the 8 million xp cap. I'll be running through the whole thing with a party this time, though, so that will make a big difference. And seeing how I've never played ToTSC before, I don't know how much XP is available there. So when's a good time to dual?
Levels 7 and 13 are where you get your extra 1/2 an attack, so dualing at level 13 is usually the better choice. The xp cap for ToTSC is 161,000xp, which is only level 8 ranger. Thus, you will just be a ranger during BG1, and will finally dual over to cleric in BG2 (at 1.5 million xp). This leaves 6.5 million xp as a cleric (max xp in ToB is 8 million), enough to reach level 36 as a cleric (you only lose one level 7 spell slot over a single classed cleric, but get the extra fighting ability and the ability to use druid spells...a good trade IMHO).
Old 03-18-2004, 12:01 AM   #17
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Quote:

Of course, if all you want is one helluva divine sellcaster, dual at Ranger level 2. You character will be better at casting any Druid spell or Cleric spell than any NPC in the game.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:22 PM   #18
Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
quote:

Levels 7 and 13 are where you get your extra 1/2 an attack, so dualing at level 13 is usually the better choice. The xp cap for ToTSC is 161,000xp, which is only level 8 ranger. Thus, you will just be a ranger during BG1, and will finally dual over to cleric in BG2 (at 1.5 million xp). This leaves 6.5 million xp as a cleric (max xp in ToB is 8 million), enough to reach level 36 as a cleric (you only lose one level 7 spell slot over a single classed cleric, but get the extra fighting ability and the ability to use druid spells...a good trade IMHO). [/QUOTE]I think that's the path I want to take. BTW, I'll get farther than level 8 in BG1 because I've got the level 50 mod or something installed, and in BG2, I've got the level 40 mod installed, so levels won't be a problem. I'm quit sure of this because I've currently got a level 39 assassin dualed to fighter (currently at like, level 30 or so) in ToB with no problems. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:16 PM   #19
Midget Gems

It wasn't until I read this that I realised that my current multi-class Ranger/Cleric has the Druid spell to chose from. It's just that the unique Druid spells in BG1 are a pretty poor bunch at low levels, so I was ignoring them. But now I know how the spell allocation works I will be looking out for a chance to take advantage of this feature. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #20
Lord

I'm wondering about something else. Rangers can only learn up to level 3 druid spells. So once I dual to a cleric and gain back my ranger abilities, will I only have druid spells up to level 3, or can I learn them all the way to level 7?