Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2001, 04:28 PM   #11
Ugaya
Manshoon

Hi ChrisSe77,
I'm not sure about switching to the inventory screen will pause the game. You can pause and then "hastily search" or use one of the quick weapon buttons...
Anyway, I have to admit that I referred to my PnP games (you know, the "real" (or the ancient) ones, with a dungeon master, people sitting around a table, dozens of dice before them. This kind of stuff.)
Having the wrong weapon equipped and trying to change it costs a round or even more (depends on the DM and/or the weapon). I know, I'm old fashioned, but in this case I think the PnP games are better (more realistic). Thus, I have to dual wield to avoid hastily.... .
Old 10-29-2001, 04:56 PM   #12
koz-ivan
Manshoon

from a pure utility perspective, dual wield. there are many weapons that work great in concert w/ each other and you have the option to use a shield if you are getting rocked.

for example.

celestial fury with an offhand belm or kundane, gives 2 extra attacks one w/ the fury and one with off hand weapon. (scarlet ninja-to, for high level th)

or the use of weapons w/ cool special abilities, say resistance to level drain or a strength increase.

there are some great two handers in soa but not really outshine some of the high end one handed weapons: (not quite as heavily enchanted + wise but very powerfull nonetheless.)
the fury, flail of ages, day star, the drinker, belm, kundane, scarlet ninja-to.
or the crom, blackrazor, couple of good maces too...

i have not done a study of the improved chances of critical hits of the two handed weapon style, but imo the fact that you could not use a shield and the pure killing power of both FoA & the fury were much better than any of the two-handers (holy avenger, prob the the only exception)

from a looks standpoint a berzerker looks much more intimidating w/ one really big weapon than two smaller ones but that's just a cosmetic thing...
Old 10-29-2001, 08:40 PM   #13
mans
Elite Waterdeep Guard

From my perspective, I get to use dual only when I go for the enchantments/powers that 1-handed swords give. Being cummulative, these can't be substituted with any single two-handed swords.

However, I tend to be most comfortable with two-handed swords, more powerful in hitting and quite a blast to the ego too. hehe I just can't seem to observe the extra attacks dualweilding is supposed to give. It still seems that my dual-wielding characters still get clobbered in between hits. By the way, most of the time I dual-weild, I tend to use the flail of the ages as they rock against trolls.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:56 PM   #14
Ares

I prefer Dual because it just makes you look cooler with 2 different colored weapons...i prefer Daystar and Dragonslayer/Crom for my dual-wielding purposes. I also believe you do better with Dual cause then you hit with two different weapons wich have their own abilities, instead of just one weapon with its meager abilities (Carsomyr the only exception) thought i throw my thinking in their

------------------
Old 10-30-2001, 02:29 AM   #15
Red Dragon Slayer
Dungeon Master

I love weapons that deal many different kind of damages..very handy while killing trolls...they just won't die if you don't use fire or acid
Old 10-30-2001, 04:30 AM   #16
tehmpus
The Magister

Personally, I believe that AC is king. Therefore, a good tank should always use a darn SHIELD! But if you dont like shields, then dual wielding is the way to go since two-handed swords don't do 3D6 damage vs large creatures in BGII.

------------------
Tehmpus Thales the permanently InSaNe
Old 10-30-2001, 06:10 AM   #17
Jan

Thanks for all you comments. It is great.

Old 10-30-2001, 06:42 AM   #18
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Nifft the Nimble:

Is talking about weapons which come late in the game a SPOILER? Well just in case:

W - E - A - P - O - N

S - P - O - I - L - E - R - S

A - H - E - A - D

- Vorpal Blade (2-handed sword... only +3 but NICE special power)

-- Nifft
VB is +4

Old 10-30-2001, 07:36 AM   #19
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
VB is +4
Nada, Silver Sword is +3.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:10 AM   #20
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Ugaya !

In BGII, you get a break when you open your backpack (You also get a message which says that you are in break-mode). In BGI, the break was stopped at once when you opened the equipmentscreen (
OK, in PnP, changing a weapon of course takes a round...

Gruss aus BS nach Hannover