Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2001, 11:03 PM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

I hope you all get that subject line or I'm going to feel like a really old 22 year old...

Here's my plan for my first party to complete BG2. First of all, I'm planning a party of 5 NPCs so I can pick up pretty much everyone else along the way as a 6th (and maybe end with Keldorn permanently added) so I can get as many NPC quests as possible. No spoilers please, as always, I still haven't got past chapter two.

I definitely want to keep Yoshi for as long as I can keep, or until I get Imoen back, whichever comes first.
I want Jah and Minsc, for roleplaying value. After all, I've had them since BG1, and we were all locked in the same dungeon so it kinda keeps the story fluid.
And then there's me. A human cleric, dualed to a mage.
I was at a toss up between Vic and Anomen. I was going to pick Anomen because I hear he's overall a better cleric, but I think that Vic fits better in a storyline sense (from BG1, and in BG2 I rescue her, rather than her being just another adventurer that I met in the CC). The only problem is that won't her being evil really mess up my party? And do I have to worry about her leaving if my rep is 20?

So far I have:
Yoshi -> Imoen
Jah
Minsc
Viconia
Me

Here's the only problem I see. Minsc is my tank, and I'll be giving him a shield most likely. So all I have for bowmen (or women) is a thief. But my big thing with archers to be able to disrupt spellcasters and be able to kill undead that can level drain from a distance. As for spellcasters, I'll have Jah's insect storm. And as for level drain, I'll have two clerics that can cast restoration.

In short, what of this party?
Old 10-04-2001, 11:14 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Balanced. A Cleric/Mage is usually essential to most beginning parties. Tell me how he fairs!
Old 10-04-2001, 11:20 PM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

actually, I'm also wondering when to dual him? If I dual at 9, I can catch up faster and still max out as a mage under the cap. But if I dual at 11, I get a 6th level cleric spell (along with a few more at lower levels) but it'll take me longer to catch up. Someone actually suggested that I'd dual at level 15, but I'd need to get ToB (which I plan to do), but I don't want to spend the whole game catching up. Any thoughts?
Old 10-04-2001, 11:23 PM   #4
Nanobyte

Yes. For one, a Multi-classed Cleric/Mage works out better. Start BG1 with a Cleric (you'll have an easier time surviving, and most Cleric spells are pretty powerful in the first game), then when you switch to BG2 change him over to a Mage.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:23 PM   #5
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by StarVid:
I hope you all get that subject line or I'm going to feel like a really old 22 year old...

Here's my plan for my first party to complete BG2. First of all, I'm planning a party of 5 NPCs so I can pick up pretty much everyone else along the way as a 6th (and maybe end with Keldorn permanently added) so I can get as many NPC quests as possible. No spoilers please, as always, I still haven't got past chapter two.

I definitely want to keep Yoshi for as long as I can keep, or until I get Imoen back, whichever comes first.
I want Jah and Minsc, for roleplaying value. After all, I've had them since BG1, and we were all locked in the same dungeon so it kinda keeps the story fluid.
And then there's me. A human cleric, dualed to a mage.
I was at a toss up between Vic and Anomen. I was going to pick Anomen because I hear he's overall a better cleric, but I think that Vic fits better in a storyline sense (from BG1, and in BG2 I rescue her, rather than her being just another adventurer that I met in the CC). The only problem is that won't her being evil really mess up my party? And do I have to worry about her leaving if my rep is 20?

So far I have:
Yoshi -> Imoen
Jah
Minsc
Viconia
Me

Here's the only problem I see. Minsc is my tank, and I'll be giving him a shield most likely. So all I have for bowmen (or women) is a thief. But my big thing with archers to be able to disrupt spellcasters and be able to kill undead that can level drain from a distance. As for spellcasters, I'll have Jah's insect storm. And as for level drain, I'll have two clerics that can cast restoration.

In short, what of this party?
I agree, well balanced. You can actually tank-up Viconia. I
always buy the Girdle of Hill Giant Str at the promenade as soon
as possible, then you can always make another tank.
If things go bad, pull her back and start casting.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:37 PM   #6
StarVid
Elminster

Nanobyte, you said multi-classed? Is that better? I mean, why wouldn't I just take Aerie? I was avoiding that because of the slow level advancement and not being able to max out in my mage class (I like the level 9 spells). Are you saying it's better to multi-class?

And as for clerics having it easy in BG1, I'm not sure I agree. They didn't really get any good spells. all I ever used, other than healing, was silence and animate dead. Though now that I'm not confident over Imoens thief skills, I'll be using find traps a bit too now.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:51 PM   #7
deathknight
Drow Warrior

I wouldn't multiclass. You won't have a full mage until you get imoen back and you will already have a full cleric regardless of if you take anomen or vic(plus jah for some extra healing spells). Multiclass will not allow you to cast the higher level mage spells (which are VERY powerful).

As for your choice of cleric I always prefer anomen over the rest because he is just so damn strong. Personally I would not give minsc a shield (its like throwing out those points in 2 weapon style he gets from being a ranger). anomen with a shield can tank perfectly fine. With Jah minsc and anomen there is no need to worry about minsc's ac. and with all that summoning power you will have plenty of fodder as well.
Old 10-05-2001, 07:05 AM   #8
Zbyszek

I like your party very much
My favourite one is me half-elf fighter/mage, Minsc, Jaheira, Viconia, Jan, Imoen.
Me and Minsc are dual wielding, Jaheira is a very good support. I agree that Anomen has much more HP than Viconia, but she is used as a real back-up. I prefer to use only 2 fighters protected heavly by protective spells and rest of my party use spells or ranged weapons.
I think that if you want to have balanced PC you should use multiclass one. I am not convinced to dualling. If you want to be able to cast high level cleric spells you have to earn a lot of exp. for him. Than you dual him and you are not able to cast any cleric spells 40% of game. If you dual quickly you dont have high level spells. IMHO I think that dualling is worth only from fighter. Maybe dualling from thief could be worth when you find Imoen back, but at the end you have two thieves dualed to other class, and both of them have poor thieving skills.

------------------

Well known expetitioner, Heffalumps hunter, friend of Boo.
Old 10-05-2001, 04:07 PM   #9
Nanobyte

Like I said, start in BG1. If you begin a character as a Multi-classed Cleric/Mage in BG1, things will fair nicely. If you have TotSC and DSotSC then you'll quite a few levels in both classes by the time you reach BG2.
Old 10-06-2001, 02:24 PM   #10
StarVid
Elminster

quote:
Nanobyte- Like I said, start in BG1. If you begin a character as a Multi-classed Cleric/Mage in BG1, things will fair nicely. If you have TotSC and DSotSC then you'll quite a few levels in both classes by the time you reach BG2.
:end quote

I know what you mean, but even with a cleric/mage starting in BG1, in BG2, I'd still just be another Aerie (who everyone things is weak later in the game. How is that more beneficial than dualing?