Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #11
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Default Re: What are the 6 most powerful weapons (or weapon combos) in the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
IMPORTANT!!! READ THIS!!! LESSON ABOUT DUAL WIELDING!!!
Let it be known to all that don't realise, dual wielding is misunderstood by alot. The only benefit dual wielding will give during higher levels is when it improves the main hand (i.e. crom fayer). When you get greater whirl wind it sets your attacks to ten per round. This is regardless of dual, single or two hand. Ask yourself, what does more damage in ten attacks per round. A two-handed weapon with a higher damage margin? A single weapon with optimal THACO and a shield to lower your AC by 4 (which is a fair bit!) or have a quarter of your attacks used with a second weapon that is at most as powerful as the main hand and gives you a lower THACO for these hits, no two-handed damage and no armor class benefits to compensate this AC loss.

Dual wield can be very powerful but you must chose your weapons wisely for high level characters! Low level, grand mastery and 3 points in dual wield, when hasted will give you a nice two ApR which is great but remember when your attacks will eventually be at a fixed 10, this becomes obsolite...
This is so important that I thought I'd highlight it. NEVER, EVER dual wield unless that offhand weapon has an additional bonus. Crom Faeyr with the 25 STR is a great example. The Equalizer's bonuses are transferred to the main hand weapon, and it provides excellent immunities. Belm and Kundane provide an extra attack with the main hand weapon. Defender of Easthaven is better than a lot of shields, expecially in ToB where most enemies will hit you anyway.

Greater Whirlwind is great, but you need to remember that it does have a finite number of uses each day. I have a question about GWW though: When you're dual wielding with GWW, how many attacks are made with the primary weapon, and how many with the offhand weapon?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:14 AM   #12
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: What are the 6 most powerful weapons (or weapon combos) in the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
~
Greater Whirlwind is great, but you need to remember that it does have a finite number of uses each day. I have a question about GWW though: When you're dual wielding with GWW, how many attacks are made with the primary weapon, and how many with the offhand weapon?
Two with the Off-Hand.

About Greater Whirlwind, do remember the existence of the spell, FFFFFF">Improved Haste.

Cheers.

Last edited by Dundee Slaytern; 10-11-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 AM   #13
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

Default Re: What are the 6 most powerful weapons (or weapon combos) in the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundee Slaytern View Post
Two with the Off-Hand.

About Greater Whirlwind, do remember the existence of the spell, FFFFFF">Improved Haste.

Cheers.
Yes, but improved haste's length is not as long as normal haste and is also much longer to cast than the instant casting GWW. I'm currently soloing my dwarf.

For battles like dragons i use my Ring of Gaxx to imp haste and then cast crit strike to unleash a flurry of critical hits against him very quick. After this initial point the casting time of improved haste and the fact it can only give you 9 ApR means that GWW is sadly a better option.

The daily limit? i put 2 into hardiness, 1 or 2 for MR, about 3 crit strike, 1 smite and that leaves about 10 for GWW! more than any battle could need
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:50 AM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Yes, but improved haste's length is not as long as normal haste and is also much longer to cast than the instant casting GWW. I'm currently soloing my dwarf.

For battles like dragons i use my Ring of Gaxx to imp haste and then cast crit strike to unleash a flurry of critical hits against him very quick. After this initial point the casting time of improved haste and the fact it can only give you 9 ApR means that GWW is sadly a better option.

The daily limit? i put 2 into hardiness, 1 or 2 for MR, about 3 crit strike, 1 smite and that leaves about 10 for GWW! more than any battle could need
Rockstar is not soloing, and at higher levels, one casting of Improved Haste lasts over twenty rounds, compared to Greater Whirlwind's paltry one round. Furthermore, GWW does not guarantee you 10 hits per round. Set your autopause for "End of Round" and observe for yourself.

Additionally, because you are not limited by the one round duration, you can utilise other HLAs such as Greater Deathblow or Critical Strike, making each of your hits that much more potent.

Improved Haste also opens up deadlier skill combinations such as the ones used by Fighter/Thieves. Think Assassination.

For soloists, there are merits to having GWW, but for people playing with a party that can cast arcane spells, Improved Haste should be a no-brainer option of choice.

Cheers.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:54 AM   #15
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Rockstar is not soloing, and at higher levels, one casting of Improved Haste lasts over twenty rounds, compared to Greater Whirlwind's paltry one round. Furthermore, GWW does not guarantee you 10 hits per round. Set your autopause for "End of Round" and observe for yourself.

Additionally, because you are not limited by the one round duration, you can utilise other HLAs such as Greater Deathblow or Critical Strike, making each of your hits that much more potent.

Improved Haste also opens up deadlier skill combinations such as the ones used by Fighter/Thieves. Think Assassination.

For soloists, there are merits to having GWW, but for people playing with a party that can cast arcane spells, Improved Haste should be a no-brainer option of choice.

Cheers.
Dundee, i find it humorously amuzing that you would tell the people here that I do not solo when I am one of the few people here to post an entire solo log of a PURE mage and a PURE warrior... much more difficult than your dual class varients. It has been years since i've played more than one person in a party and never break the rule. If I cannot bash a door i must wait till i get a strength enhansing item; i cannot see traps so must bare their rath... I believe dual classing is for newbies and that multiclass is a much more balanced method of doing this.

Yes, you are correct. For a NON-solo fighter :p using imp haste and crit strike (or assassination if you are a multi) is a much better option with longer length and the ability to synegise with crit strike or assassination. Solo pure fighters have no choice but to use the GWW... Also i did not know about the GWW ten hits not always landing, thanks
Old 10-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #16
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Rockstar is not soloing,
Quote:
Dundee, i find it humorously amuzing that you would tell the people here that I do not solo when I am one of the few people here to post an entire solo log of a PURE mage and a PURE warrior... much more difficult than your dual class varients.
I think Dundee meant to say "Klorox is not soloing". Cheers.

Last edited by ZFR; 10-12-2007 at 06:44 PM.
ZFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:53 AM   #17
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Crazed Silly Re: What are the 6 most powerful weapons (or weapon combos) in the game?

Quote:
Dundee, i find it humorously amuzing that you would tell the people here that I do not solo when I am one of the few people here to post an entire solo log of a PURE mage and a PURE warrior... much more difficult than your dual class varients. It has been years since i've played more than one person in a party and never break the rule. If I cannot bash a door i must wait till i get a strength enhansing item; i cannot see traps so must bare their rath... I believe dual classing is for newbies and that multiclass is a much more balanced method of doing this.

Yes, you are correct. For a NON-solo fighter :p using imp haste and crit strike (or assassination if you are a multi) is a much better option with longer length and the ability to synegise with crit strike or assassination. Solo pure fighters have no choice but to use the GWW... Also i did not know about the GWW ten hits not always landing, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFR View Post
I think Dundee meant to say "Klorox is not soloing". Cheers.
Whoops, I mixed up on the names. Yeah, I meant Klorox.

Cheers.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:43 AM   #18
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Even if you're not soloing, I like picking up a bunch of GWW's for my fighters. It's still a really good HLA.

Besides, what else is really good out there?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #19
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
Even if you're not soloing, I like picking up a bunch of GWW's for my fighters. It's still a really good HLA.

Besides, what else is really good out there?
I just mentioned two of the better HLAs available to Warriors... Critical Strike and Greater Deathblow. The former ensures hits against enemies with good AC, while the latter is incredible for instant-killing Mind Flayers, Beholders, Drow, etc... This is especially important if you are playing with mods that increase the difficulty of the game.

Skipping GWW also enables you to pick up more Hardiness, and if you are a multiclassed character, more HLAs from the other side. For Paladins, less GWWs means more Summon Deva, as it is a Special Ability for them and not a spell that takes up spell slots.

GWW may seem like a wow ability at first glance, but it is really an inferior choice for warriors in a balanced party.

Cheers.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #20
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

Oops. Sorry if i got under your skin there dundee!

Yes, not much can beat a warrior with improved haste and critical strike. Many enemies do not wear helmets and cannot avoid the max damage. Grand Mastery restoration patch improves this further if you choose to use it.

Only time whirlwind has the advantage is with the flail of the ages which cannot be hasted by conventional means and delivers the hell of alot of damage.