Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Default (NWN 1) Questions, lots and lots of questions..

I've recently come to the conclusion that since most of friends now have access to laptops, it might be a good idea to revisit roleplaying games such as Neverwinter Nights (due to extreme lag, our internet-games never worked out). Since we all share a passion for Zombie-movies, I decided to create a 'zombie-apocalypse'-style mod. Unfortunately, since my laptop has no keypad, I cannot steer the camera with my keyboard. This is truly something that annoys me to no end, since it is now effectively impossible to quickly change a few details or to scroll around and check for mistakes. Is there any way to link the regular arrow-keys to the camera?

My second question concerns my single-player game. I've decided to give the Shifter prestige-class a shot for the first time, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips. Should I go 50/50 with Shifter/Druid levels or put everything on Shifter? What feats should I take, what shapes are good and how important is Wisdom?

My last question isn't NWN-related, but I was wondering if anyone knows if IE-games (such as Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale) play well on LAN (I was mainly thinking of Icewind Dale II). I heard stories that Baldurs Gate 2 was almost unplayable in multiplayer, so it's probably best to ask around before I start buying additional copies for my mates.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Dreamer128; 10-11-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Default Re: (NWN 1) Questions, lots and lots of questions..

On the shifters, I put slightly more to shifter than druid, so I got powerful shapes faster, but still got reasonably high level spells to get through fights.

I can't help on any of the others, I'm afraid.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer128 View Post

My last question isn't NWN-related, but I was wondering if anyone knows if IE-games (such as Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale) play well on LAN (I was mainly thinking of Icewind Dale II). I heard stories that Baldurs Gate 2 was almost unplayable in multiplayer, so it's probably best to ask around before I start buying additional copies for my mates.

Thanks guys.
I played IWD2 with xander here over the internet. It went quite well, there was just slight lagging at times and a bit longer loading times than what you're used to. Other than that the game was great.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Agreed. Icewindale II is great fun over the internet. Slightly longer load times, but let's not split hairs.

Can't help you with your first question, but I can help with the Shifter thing. Generally, I have a slightly higher shifter level as opposed to my druid levels. Oh, and start with 18 wisdom and put one in until you get to 30.

Trust me
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:01 AM   #5
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

My brother and I started a game of Icewind Dale+HoW+TotLM+Aurils Bane in a LAN multiplayer session with two characters a couple of years ago and got to the Severed Hand. It was very enjoyable actually, with only the ocassional bit of lag between systems.

Since my recent revisitation of IWD2 with the NPC mod from gibberlings 3, we've decided to try again, only this time with three characters each. Thus far we've just completed the Vale of Shadows and it is a little more stunted with more pausing going on for tactics.

My main irritation with the system is that the player permissions can prevent the flow of the game going smoothly, but generally it is still a load of fun.

Can't comment on BG2 personally - but friends assure me that it is still playable despite the similar engine problems of dialogue interrupting other players etc. I reckon the Firkraag encounter in multiplayer would be very awesome indeed!
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Thanks guys. Hm..

Equipment?

Check

Games?

Check

Free time?

Err..

By the way, any additional tips on playing a Shifter? I'd welcome anything.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
javan
Zhentarim Guard

Letter Re: (NWN 1) Questions, lots and lots of questions..

Check out Zelleqyllvan's Shifter details here

Wisdom is your prime requisite for the Epic Shifter Shapes. Outsider Shape requires 25 Wisdom; Construct Shape requires 27 Wisdom; Dragon Shape requires 30 Wisdom.

With such high wisdom it is cheezy useful to take at least one level of Monk to get the AC bonus. Take the monk level late in the build (level 37+) to max out hte Tumble skill for more AC bonus.

Shifting unequips your items. If you have a Wisdom increasing item you may lose bonus spells when shifting.

Depending on the shape you shift into the item and/or weapon properties your base form has may or may not apply to the shifted form. See the link above for details.

Beware the "dead shifter bug". When you die in shifted form you revert back to your base form but all your equipment properties no longer apply(ie. you +3 chainmail becomes +0) You have to unequip/re-equip each item or shift again for the properties to return.

I have a few Shifter builds if you have specific questions in mind.
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Thanks. I've managed to find a few guides through google as well. Can't go without them, since there isn't a whole lot of information in the manual. I'm currently a level 5 Shifter, but I still find myself using the Druids Wildshape ability. That Brown Bear (27 str!) is a powerhouse when it comes to damage. It gives me a +14 to hit, as opposed to the +10 from the Minotaur. I do like the Gargoyle, since it's basically a wall made flesh. That critter can really soak tons of damage and has a heroic AC.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:30 AM   #9
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Shifter can be a lot of fun! Some general ideas:

-As mentioned above, your shapes will majorly benefit from taking at least 1 monk level. If you are going through some modules from lvl 1 to 40 I advise against taking it late so take it before Shifter levels. Not only will ALL of your Shifting shapes benefit from your WIS bonus to AC, you will also gain the monk unarmed attack progression!!! (at the cost of 1 AB) on most of your shapes (most are unarmed); yes, this also includes the ability of Flurry of Blows.

-Armor/shield will always merge into your shape, so make sure your armor has all the benefits you think you'll need. Note that if you are wearing +x enchanted armor, you will lose the standard armor bonus, but keep the +x bonus AND gain the WIS bonus to AC. In this regard, it might be handy to invest in Heavy Armor proficiency for more choice regarding what armor to wear.

-Any critter with a weapon will gain all the special abilities from the weapon you are wielding. The only thing that will not transfer is the AB iirc. So an enchantment bonus of +x will, when shaped, give you only a +x damage bonus. This fact makes it wise to enchant your weapons with a heap of elemental damage!

-Wyrmling shapes are super handy for element encounters since they are totally immune to a single type of elemental damage

-Generally while shaped your AC will be high but your attacks and damage will be a bit lacking, especially in the earlier levels. However, once you get Dragon Shape, you WILL wipe the floor with everything else. Imagine 80+ AC, high AB, huge damage AND dragon immunities/breath weapon.

-Use and prepare druid spells mainly for buffing purposes. Bull's Strength, Barkskin, Cat's Grace, all are active still when you shape. That's at least a +2 on any ability and +3 - +6 AC.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

That is certainly useful information. I had no idea the buff-spells remained effective after shapechanging, so I've largely wasted them on my pets and henchmen. I've already taken the 'weapon focus: unarmed fighting' feat with my druid, I've also taken 'Heavy Armor' to boost my AC. So far, the Shifter appears to be a solid support class, capable of soaking both normal and magical (Drider) damage. By the looks of it, the higher levels really provide you with forms that can counter anything!