Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Zink Whistlefly

Happy Laughing Well, I've FINALLY managed to start playing

I bought this game ages ago but only just managed to start playing it because of all the bugs and horrible FPS. The patches along with an upgrade to a Core2Duo + 8800GTS seem to have worked wonders!

Thought I'd share some initial thoughts as to how I feel about the OC to date:
  • What's with the companions forcing themselves into your party!? I loved the fact that you could choose to solo in NWN1 and BG etc but even acting like a real b*stard to them doesn't make any difference - they join up anyway! I found this slightly irritating...
  • Something doesn't quite feel right about using a melee class. I love the model animations in general but some swings just don't seem to animate at all. Attacks of opportunity and cleave attacks spring to mind here. One such example would be my frenzied berserker with supreme cleave. He often takes one swing at an enemy and drops them, and all you see if a string of "great cleave" messages and all the other enemies around him also drop, yet I only saw one animation on the first swing! Just feels a bit "unfinished" like this...
  • I wish you could add any action to the actionbars. I NWN1 I got used to issuing commands such as "hold ground" and "attack nearest" to the action bar (which was possible by the radial menu), but I can't seem to do the same in NWN2. I have to right click, select commands and then select the command I want to issue, that's 2 clicks more than I need!
  • The story and plot so far have been very enjoyable. It all feels far too linear however, although I do like the 2 entirely different paths you can choose in Neverwinter in Chapter 1. This ensures at least 1 more run through is in order.
  • Some of the "challenge ratings" seem a little off. I don't think I've seen anything more than "challenging" so far, yet my rear end has been handed to me on more than one occasion. One such encounter would be against "Moire" who showed up as "moderate" yet proceeded to kill me, Kelgar, Neeskha, Elanee, Elanee's animal companion and a summoned creature! She just stood there surrounded by bodies virtually unharmed and I felt "moderate" just didn't feel quite right..."Overpowering" would have been a little more suitable, especially since she has nasty sneak attack damage, high front load damage, a high BAB and loads of HP...WTF!? All these "Thugs" that you have to slay which appear as "Effortless" also seem to dish out and take a huge beating!
  • The game looks lovely, especially at 1680x1050 with all of the details right up (apart from shadows). Graphically this has certainly improved over NWN1.
  • I like the familiar music and NPC voices from NWN1, and it's also nice to hear some genuinely good tracks added to the score
  • All in all I am very much enjoying the game - what do you guys think about it?

On a more promising note, I've also just purchased the expansion "Mask of the Betrayer". Apparently this runs much smoother and introduces lots of interesting spells, feats, base classes and prestige classes! It also adds a whole new method to the camera via a "strategy mode" which allows you to set it up just like is was in the infinity engine games with a top down slightly isometric view with a draggable selection box I'd like to finish the OC before I start on this however.
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Default Re: Well, I've FINALLY managed to start playing

I generally agree with you:
Good stuff:
UI improvements, graphic improvement (NWN1 was just too ugly for it's time), more feat/class choices, skills that are actually useful (diplomacy,bluff,intimidate in particular), ok story.
Bad stuff:
Too lineair, not challenging at all, forced companions, fake dialogue choices(ie some dialogues involve skillusage that doesn't make a difference compared to the "right" nonskill choices) and the total monty haul, still no TurnBased tactical combat.

I've recently started with MotB and I must say it is way more promising. It looks like they've taken all the critique in mind and improved on those areas.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Maks of the betrayer is already out? ^^ Since Burning Crusade hit i'm out of the loop : /
Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

It was in Europe.