Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2000, 01:15 PM   #1
Astrofrank

Here is one for the experts-- what is does high wisdom ability get you in BG2? The BG2 book says you get a bonus on magic protection, but I'm not sure I see any evidence of that. What are all the benefits (besides spell failure at low wisdom and lore bonuses at high wisdom)? Do Clerics get extra benefits?

Old 12-22-2000, 02:47 PM   #2
Glorick the Half-Orc

Clerics get a bunch of extra spells, you get a bonus on your saving throw vs some types of spells (mostly mind control), and in traditional AD&D you got a bonus on your experience points, abiet I've never seen that refrenced in any of these Infinity engine products...

Old 12-22-2000, 07:40 PM   #3
Armisael

Gives clerics some extra first-level memorizations, right?

Old 12-23-2000, 01:06 AM   #4
Tobbin
Red Dragon

If you have a high enough wisdom, you can get extra 2nd and 3rd level spells as well.
Old 12-23-2000, 01:33 AM   #5
Radical_Edward

The wisdom granting more experince was present in Planescape: Torment. Also, in that game you had more flashbacks if your wisdom was higher, thus earning you more xp.

Old 12-23-2000, 01:39 AM   #6
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

You also get a bonus 4th lvl spell for an 18 wisdom, in addition to the 2 first lvl, 2 second lvl, and a third lvl spell to use per day.

The magic defense adjustment is a saving throw modifier for charm spells and spells like confusion, chaos and also fear spells. Notice that there is a penalty for having wisdom 7 and under.

Also characters that cast priest/druid spells ( including rangers) can have a chance for their spells to fail if their wisdom is 11 or lower.

The manual shows the stat charts but doesnt really explain them, Kinda funny isn't it. Perhaps the game should have come with a full-blown AD&D players handbook and exerpts from the Dungeon Masters guide so any player an reference all the little details in the rules of the game they are playing. Perhaps a bonus disc with Complete rules would work. I've found 2nd edition D&D books used for around $10-$20 at used books/roleplaying specialty stores. Also the Borders here has the DM guide for $3.99 on the Bargain table. I couldn't believe it when I saw it( and bought a copy in case mine falls apart again!) There is also a software package called the AD&D Core Rules, or something like that. It has like 9 of the original 2nd edition rules in a text format.