Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
DapperDanMan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

spoilers maybe
Why are they(flayers) so freaking hard to kill, and why can they instantly kill you? It's hardly fair, one minute you have full health and the next you are dead on the floor. Any ways that I can NOT die instantly from them? Any help would be great.

[ 06-28-2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: DapperDanMan ]
DapperDanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:19 PM   #2
philip
Galvatron

They drain your INT, as far as I know they don't have any insta-kill abilities/spells unless you have really low INT. You could try drinking INT potions and using summons to keep the flayers away while you hit them ranged. You could also use ranged weapons and run away from them before they reach you.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:28 PM   #3
Feral
Elminster

It's not insta-kill (depending on your intelligence, I suppose). Each successful hit temporarily drains your intelligence by 5. When it gets to 0, you're dead. Low AC helps.

One way to fight the illithid is to build a wall of something between you and them. They can't drain you if they can't hit you. Summons are a good option. I've heard people have had good luck with using someone surrounded by Otiluke's Resillient Sphere as a barricade - I've never tried it.

Area of effect spells also help, although the flayers are very magic resistant.

It's good (=crucial) to protect your party members against the psionic blast, otherwise half of you will be running around like chickens with their heads cut off while the other half are getting their brains sucked out. Use chaotic commands.

Tell us what your party makeup is (including levels) and we can help you more.

[ 06-28-2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Feral ]
Old 06-28-2004, 04:41 PM   #4
DapperDanMan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well its just every time I go throgh the game, they always piss me off, and I end up using all of my summon spells to fend them off, then having to rest alot. I guess it's just a slow process. Is there anything that can completely shield you from their INT drain?
Old 06-28-2004, 04:49 PM   #5
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Summon 5 sceleton warriors and haste them. You will smash brain suckers in no time. Mordy swords are also great.

Protection from magical weapons helps too. Put a mage with chaotic commands on him and PFMW. Stupid Flayers will attack him, so just whack at them with your fighter.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:37 PM   #6
DapperDanMan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks guys, I'll go try
Old 06-28-2004, 08:26 PM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Well... you don't become one of the dominant races in the Underdark by being nice, you know? It's realistic, maybe even toned down... In PnP, all a mind flayer has to do is get a tentacle on a player's head and it's all over.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:50 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Most important: Do NOT let any character get Stunned by their Psionic Blasts. They will immediately make a beeline for the Stunned character (ignoring all threats to their own well-being), and since all attacks against a Stunned creature automatically hit, that party member is pretty much already dead. (In fact, ALL of the enemies in the game are smart enough to go after helpless people.)

Saving Throws. Saving Throws. Saving Throws.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:39 AM   #9
Kay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Philip is right...the potions help. As for summoning (okay this is a lame, wimpy tactic, but I HATE mind flayers), I memorize two or more Mordenkainen's sword spells, keep the rest of my part at a distance, and let the disembodied weapon take care of business. Also, miniSPOILER:
there is an amulet later in the game that offers temporary protection. Of course, you have to kill a lot of mind flayers to get it...
Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:46 AM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Also if you have a Cleric then by any means cast Chaotic Commands!
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote