Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2001, 07:07 PM   #1
Scott Lucas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am about to start a new game and i intend to solo. i have a few questions. What is the best kit for it if i want to be able to stay out of sight whenever possible and avoid most combat. I only want to battle baddies that are stopping me from continuing or that i have to. I will use cheats to get any items to start with. What class is the best for this overall. Please include race attributes and important items etc.

Thanks alot!
Old 12-02-2001, 07:09 PM   #2
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

Dundee! Where are you?
Old 12-02-2001, 07:15 PM   #3
dwarf 13
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would say a halfling thief with the bulk of his points in hide in shadows and move silently. That combined withthe cloak of non-detection would allow you to slip by unseen without being detected. I can't imagine a game without battles being fun, but hey, it's your game.
Old 12-02-2001, 07:15 PM   #4
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

If you want to avoid battles, a good assassin with HiS and Move silently stacked can get you through. Even in the first dungeon, there are times when goblins cover the entire hall, so even invisible you can't walk by them. Smack one them in the back, then run away with your boots of speed(cheater!) and Hide Again. I believe shadow armour is the best for this class and gives you a bonus of 20% to HiS. There are several elven artifacts that you get in that last town that help a thieves skills, but I didn't get them soon enough to study them and remember the names. Stack up on Katana and get Celestial Fury, and then either Long Sword or Dual weapon and get the equalizer. I can't remember which belt gives you the best strength but get that one, so you can set your initial str low to boost dex and con. And the RIng of Gaxx ensure you will never need another healing potion.
Old 12-02-2001, 07:44 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

I might say that soloing on your first time through the game is not the best of ideas but feel free to try it.

a monk will do it without cheating. im just about through the first dungeon with one, soloing on normal. monks have extra speed naturaly, can hide in shadows and detect (but not remove ) traps. the lack of lock pick does not matter since and critical doors can always be forced, although i will undoubtedly miss out on great armour and weapons (but then again, what does a monk want with armour and weapons). lay on hands is excellent, and stunning blow can be a lifesaver. with some care there should be no battle you cant win with a monk. just be careful in that plane of air section, i coudnt do the bit with the 6 mephits, so i hid in shadows and skipped them.

later on a monks ac will drop to ludicrously low levels (+ a huge bonus versus missile weapons) and at level 14 he wil gain 42% MR, with 3% per level from then on. soon enough i will have 100%mr, ac below -20, missile ac below -30, quivering palm, and immunity to normal weapons. plus immunity to charm, confusion etc. and +4 weapons for fists. what can go wrong?

for some reason though a monk does not seem a popular choice for soling. i cant see why, no doubt Dundee will come up with a precise explanation of why its not a good idea.
Old 12-02-2001, 07:54 PM   #6
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

With the right equipment, he should be able to make it through. I am soloing an assassin right now, and if I had any 2 of the following:boots of speed, Ring of Gaxx, Bag of Holding....then my life would be a lot easier.

Trying a monk with no cheats would not be recommended, since this is your first time
Old 12-03-2001, 12:48 AM   #7
Zarathustra
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think the sorceror is the best bet. If U feel u need to cheat get the robe of vecna, staff of magi, a ring of gaxx and ring of freedom, add to this boots of speed with a web spell memorised. U now can cast haste on ur creatures that u summon without the fatigue effect. and u can walk thru ur web to lure the baddies. Also get a familiar, u can have him scout without the need of a wizard eye or the loss of a summon (added a cloned image of any kind cant scout). this comes in handy when u depend on project image as your main spell. other than that a cloak of non detection or reflection is benificial. for stats choose all 25's since ur cheating. For class go with elf the infravision is handy.
Old 12-03-2001, 02:06 AM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Urm... who said Monks are not viable for soloing? They are very viable indeed... very viable... ...

Scott Lucas, a question, have you completed the game yet? Soloing with foreknowledge is hard enough already, soloing without foreknowledge is going to be frustrating, if not suicidal.

The following is not my opinion, but from what I have seen from the BlackIsle Forums.

It is widely accepted that the Dualclassed Kensai->Mage is the easiest to solo with, followed by the Sorcerer. Monks are considered easy too, but strangely Assassins are more popular despite the fact that they are not easy to solo with( maybe because they want to wear neat/cool stuff ). Kensai->Thief is considered quite powerful too. Take note that this is all taking ToB into consideration.

Oh, and Lord Ludtke. I ain't no Bhaalspawn, [img]tongue.gif[/img] I need my sleep.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 01:34 PM   #9
BeastMaster
Welcomed New User

Since ur willing to cheat i reccommend an archer with max in short bow and one in mace (level drain resistance) racial enemy vampires and use the armour that is viper something and when making him make him an elf then take off one point from anything and press ctrl+space+8 this will make all the stats 18 then add the one point to the dex viola max stats elven archer, get bracers of archery boots of speed or stealth and the rest is up to you hope i helped

P.S this is how im Soloing SOA at the moment and it works really well.
BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 02:55 PM   #10
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Bah who needs cheating. Just play a Barbarian and wade through every battle. He is a killing machine. No need to run and hide.

But if you wish to then any class would work just get a bag of holding and the ring of invisiblty. Every time you need to take the ring off just through it into the bag and insta-recharge. You will never be seen.