Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 10-28-2002, 04:20 AM   #1
Nutman
Dungeon Master

Gidday,

I have 10th level wizard with stone magic at Level 6 – if I change him to a Warlock he can still use the stone spells but won’t be able to learn any new stone spells – is that right???

Cheers
Nutman
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:21 AM   #2
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Absolutely correct... ...He would only be able to learn, the spells he missed , up to level 3 stone magic.

However....are you sure you want to pass on 'Meteorstorm' and 'Reflect Damage'?????
Old 10-28-2002, 07:47 AM   #3
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Hold on, I thought a Warlock could still learn all Fire / Stone / Moon and Fiend magic?.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:32 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmmm... my memory is playing tricks on me. Okay, here's what will happen.

First, the new warlock can continue to learn stone spells. Because Stone is not one of the warlock's native schools of magic, he learns at a slower rate -- one-half his level. So at level 2, he can learn level 1 stone magic; at level 6, he can learn level 3 stone magic. He can cast any spell at any time, contrary to what the manual says.

There is a catch, although I've not run into it. Apparently, your sorcery skill may affect your ability to learn other spell schools, also at a half-rate. So you won't be able to learn level 7 stone spells until your sorcery is level 14, which means you're a zenmaster and already had access to level 7 stone natively.

I'm not completely convinced on that catch, though, but I know that others are convinced it happens. I just haven't seen it.

Bottom line is that I would wait until your wizard has level 7 stone and the meteorstorm spell (at the least) before moving on.

[ 10-28-2002, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 11:00 AM   #5
Olli Kalma

I just turn one my wizard to warlock.
He was 11 level wizard and had learned stone magic at 6th level and fire into 7th level. I was able to learn 7th level stone magic soon I got enought level.
It went by level, I mean when you're 3rd level warlock you can learn 3rd level stone spells... Don't know what's wrong if Bungleau said that when you're 4th level warlock you can learn 2th level spells etc..
And Packrat said that you can learn up to 3rd level spells!
Well Don't know what's wrong with my warlock!
I still advice that make that one level and get meteorstorm, before changing into warlock....
Old 10-29-2002, 12:55 AM   #6
Nutman
Dungeon Master

Gidday,

thanks for all the advice, I think I will get the level 7 meteorstorm before changing to warlock

cheers
Nutman
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 05:08 AM   #7
Radek
Red Dragon

A warlock is a piece of mystery in W&W. He can learn spells of ALL magic schools as if ALL magic schools were his "native" schools. Therefore, your warlock will be able to learn stone magic spells up to level 6 now. On the other hand, a warlock is gaining only Fiend and Moon as new magic schools when he is created.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:20 AM   #8
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

IIRC...Warlocks can learn spells from all previously learned schools, to their 'existing' levels..(they are not restricted to half)...but they can not advance the level of any schools accept, for Moon and Fiend.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:27 AM   #9
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

That explains it, I knew I could still learn high level Stone and Sun spells after going Warlock.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:50 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

And I thought they could increase their level in any school they already knew; moon and fiend were just the two new schools they started learning. If they knew spirit and vine, they could train in those; if they didn't know stone, they couldn't start learning it.

For some reason, I'm thinking that they learn spells without the half-penalty, even though I posted differently above. That post above is based on things others have said, and less on my own experience.

The base thought holds true, though: get your level 7 spells before you move on to another class, 'cause you never know when you might get 'em again.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote