Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2001, 09:25 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I crashed my first PC today! My office PC.
Here is what happened.
I went to shut down my PC for the day, and the message came up that an application was still running. This being a new development, I researched it and found that I had a program called WebHancer running. Tracing the file back to its origin, I discovered that it seemed of no particular use, and since the MIS/Help desk guys get angry if they find out someone has downloaded non-approved material, I went about to destroy this little creature. Mistake #1. After I thought that I had successfully deleted everything, I rebooted, and signed in, only to have the system lock up. Not knowing what to do, I called my friend at the help desk to come look. He messed with it awhile, smiled at me and said...what did you do? Your Hard Drive has crashed. I was without words.
Mistake #2. After I had a new machine built for me, I went to go about replacing my Net Links, etc, and found out that I could not. I did a search and discovered that not only did my new PC belong to a lady that had been fired 2 weeks prior, but that the PC still expected her to be its user, and since she had a differnt configuration, (ie intranet folder sharing..blah, blah,) I was not allowed to change any of it. Well, I found out how I could change the system over to recognize it's new master, and began converting the security clearances into my name. When it was finished, I relogged on, but it would not accept my log on name. After alot of Finger-nail biting I decided to call my friend back. This time, he came with two more people. They asked me to go home and break my fingers, and then come back to work the next day.
But I don't wanna break my fingers!
Help me!

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Currently engaged in the Throne of Bhaal expansion set
Old 07-11-2001, 09:38 PM   #2
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I would just break my fingers.

*shrugs*

------------------
Old 07-11-2001, 09:45 PM   #3
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Larry I won't laugh at you I fried a 19" sony trinatron (sp?) moniter once wiping the dust off the screen. Who knew that static fries moniters, I'm an artist.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"

[This message has been edited by John D Harris (edited 07-11-2001).]
Old 07-11-2001, 09:50 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
Larry I won't laugh at you I fried a 19" sony trinatron (sp?) moniter once wiping the dust off the screen. Who knew that static fries moniters, I'm an artist.

Do what????
I must be the luckiest guy on the earth.
How many times...

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Currently engaged in the Throne of Bhaal expansion set
Old 07-11-2001, 10:07 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I deleted Windows once, took me (and phone support) 6 hours to figure that out
Old 07-11-2001, 11:16 PM   #6
DawnChaser
Zhentarim Guard

You guys are scaring me. I am the person who provides tech support for my department. My funniest story involved a secretary who, after receiving her new computer, plugged it all in and... nothing.

After arriving to find out why her computer wasn't working, I traced the power cords (even though she assured me it was plugged in.) All of the plugs were plugged in, but the surge protector power cord was plugged in right there beside all the others... in the surge protector. We both had a laugh at that one, after I explained that at least one of them has to be plugged into the wall...

"Hey, maybe you can help me out. I have been having to replace a lot of rechargeable batteries! They don't seem to last as long as my regular alkaline batteries, and they never recharge! I can leave them sitting for a week, and they remain lifeless. *SIGH*"

------------------

Old 07-12-2001, 06:30 AM   #7
Moiraine
Anubis

Once, I asked a customer for a copy of a floppy disk, and several days later, in a letter, I got ... a photocopy of the disk !

------------------

The world is my oyster !

[This message has been edited by Moiraine (edited 07-12-2001).]
Old 07-12-2001, 06:41 AM   #8
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

It just proves that "to make a mistake is human nature but to really mess things up needs a computer". My IT disaster is actually quite embarassing as I'm supposed to be an IT Manager. I wrote some software which read a file of records and should have ended when it the file was empty. The problem was that I never told it to end so it just kept processing the last record over and over and over. Eventually it started snatching processor time from other programs and ended up crashing my firms entire system for 6 hours(it cost us about £60,000)! I can laugh about it now but I thought I was going to be getting the sack for that one.