Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2003, 11:52 PM   #1
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Letter

how about a dell 17" monitor that has been fine for three yrs, now it is coming up all watery and jaggy - i mean the image is literally shaking back and forth horizontally about half a centimeter. the window is offset about an inch to the left when it starts, the screen image edge actually looks like an old, big bandsaw ripsaw blade. it is intermittant, in that if i start doing things, opening docs or progs, the shaking actually calms down to the point i can use it, although the edges of all frames look 'watery'

3dfx voodoo5 agp, 64mb, reloaded drivers many times, replaced card, no diff. anybody ever had a monitor die slowly? was it like this?

as i say, been working fine in the current config for quite some time, no environmental or feng shui changes, big magnets, major software changes,etc.

anyone seen this happen b4? going to take it to a friends to plug into her machine tomorrow to trblsht, can you save me a trip? grazi, dons; donzhelas

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm
Old 08-10-2003, 12:18 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

wel i had a slow dying monitor as well.. once in a while there would be like a power flicker every time im on the computer. i thought the monitor really does that. little did i know that one time when there was a power flicker once again "poof" smoke comes out.. oh well.. guess you have to junk it then.

[ 08-10-2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-11-2003, 12:44 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

It could be "toasting"... trying it out on another machine is the best way to find out.

I'm assuming you've degaussed and such... I don't know if it helps, but it's pretty cool to watch

Unfortunately, I have seen this kind of thing happen before. It was a bad flywheel or some silly thing like that in my monitor.

You might check with a local computer store to see if there's someone in your area who fixes monitors. It may be cheaper than a new one. You might check with Dell to see if it still might be under warranty, too...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.