Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-24-2001, 11:56 PM   #1
Waluin

Coming from a deep Final Fantasy background, I always seem to get a little scared when I'm forced to give someone the boot. Well, the time has finally arrived.

I'm working on the Unseeing eye quest for the temple of Helm, and I've run into mr. goody goody paladin (ok ok INQUISITOR) Keldorn. I got a pretty good thing going with myself (a dual wielding blade), minsc (duh), Valygar Corthala (dual wielding Katanas, one his family sword), Yoshimo (a capable a thief as any, what can I say, he's grown on me *for now*), Jaheira, and Aerie. (which I are essentially my spell tossin' tag-team, and Jaheira is a rather potent melee force in a pinch too).

Do I need Keldorn? I mean, I can turn him down. Just curious on opinions.

[This message has been edited by Waluin (edited 06-25-2001).]
Old 06-25-2001, 12:01 AM   #2
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, it's up to you, but Carsomyr is the best sword in the game. And only a paladin can wield it.

------------------
Order of the Holy Flame
Member of Clan HADB

Old 06-25-2001, 12:03 AM   #3
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
Well, it's up to you, but Carsomyr is the best sword in the game. And only a paladin can wield it.

Well, of the bunch, who should I toss? Valygar Corthala gets my vote, but I like his character alot. Damn my infernal attachment to character storylines!

Old 06-25-2001, 12:07 AM   #4
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

That's a judgement call personally I didn't care much for Valygar. But anyone you drop can pick them back up later.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 06-25-2001, 12:08 AM   #5
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
That's a judgement call personally I didn't care much for Valygar. But anyone you drop can pick them back up later.

Agreed. I apologzie for utilizing a presently over-accentuated euphanism, but it appears Valygar Corthala is the "weakest link". I believe its time for VC to say goodbye...AFTER I rape all his equipment.
Old 06-25-2001, 12:29 AM   #6
Tananda
Elminster

It is always difficult in BG2 to decide who should be in the party, because all NPCs have very bright personalities and the question To Drop Or Not To Drop becomes the most hard to answer.
I like Valygar really much, and I can tell tales about his advantages till next morning... BUT I still think he is not much a fighter, *sigh* he is weak in combat.
As to Keldorn... well, he is wonderful addition to any party, IMO

[This message has been edited by Tananda (edited 06-25-2001).]
Old 06-25-2001, 12:57 AM   #7
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

It's really hard to choose what party composition you will stick with. I rather liked the Valygar concept. After all, he nixed 2 cowled wizards on his own! Anybody who does that can't be all bad.

If you give him a set of first rate equipment, he becomes a powerful force. He can use Malakar, Celestial Fury, or his Family sword. He has decent HP, a good THAC0, and can backstab (with the patch). That makes him a great mage killer. If you use his family weapon, he works as well as a kind of assassin - doing "poison" damage. Try out his katana on Trolls, and you'll be pleasantly surprised to see them die permanently. He's nasty to Illithids too.
As a frontline fighter or a tank, he won't match a full blown fighter, paladin or regular ranger. But he makes a great scout and is most useful in a fight.

On the other hand Keldorn is a nifty character also. You just can't lose with either one.
Old 06-25-2001, 01:02 AM   #8
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Robin, Thief of Hearts:
It's really hard to choose what party composition you will stick with. I rather liked the Valygar concept. After all, he nixed 2 cowled wizards on his own! Anybody who does that can't be all bad.

On the other hand Keldorn is a nifty character also. You just can't lose with either one.
Yeah, no kiddin. I suppose that is what makes it so hard, eh? Unfortunately for Keldorn (and his paladin potential), Valygar has really grown on me. That and the fact that he really does hold his own with the dual-wielding magic katanas, I dont think I want to let him go. My character is no tank, but with him, myself, and minsc together we usually can do a decent front line force.

Argh, I wont make a final decision until tomorrow. The beauty of a saved game.

Old 06-25-2001, 02:25 AM   #9
Ravana
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Waluin:
Coming from a deep Final Fantasy background, I always seem to get a little scared when I'm forced to give someone the boot. Well, the time has finally arrived.

I'm working on the Unseeing eye quest for the temple of Helm, and I've run into mr. goody goody paladin (ok ok INQUISITOR) Keldorn. I got a pretty good thing going with myself (a dual wielding blade), minsc (duh), Valygar Corthala (dual wielding Katanas, one his family sword), Yoshimo (a capable a thief as any, what can I say, he's grown on me *for now*), Jaheira, and Aerie. (which I are essentially my spell tossin' tag-team, and Jaheira is a rather potent melee force in a pinch too).

Do I need Keldorn? I mean, I can turn him down. Just curious on opinions.

I know what you mean about the Final Fantasy thing Walukin, I've got the same problem (?) myself. I'd go with Keldorn myself as he is a great NPC, but also a great character...I saw him as the grizzled veteran in my group, a kind of gentleman warrior whom any good party would be poorer without. However, as I said, I see where you are coming from (I'm starting Final Fantasy 9 right now btw-I love it!), and if you like Valygar go with it I say. Besides no NPC however good is indispensable, so Holy Avenger or no Holy Avenger-leave Keldorn out, you dont absolutely need him.

[This message has been edited by Ravana (edited 06-25-2001).]
Old 06-25-2001, 08:22 AM   #10
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

good lord, whats the problem, burn Yoshimo, he's dross....