Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-12-2001, 03:04 PM   #1
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

...because one in particular is so extremely CHEESY that i'm actually a tad irate it's even in the game. granted, celestial fury, crom faeyr, and the holy avenger could be considered over the top already, but the lamest magic item of them all has to be the shield of balduran. for the bargain basement price of 30k gp, you too can make an entire race of otherwise incredibly powerful creatures completely impotent.

i have no problem with the idea of a beholder ray reflecting item, but it needs to be limited somehow. the price is one deterrent but a false one, as i have yet to play a game where i didn't have 100k at any point after the underdark. the -1 to STR is another pseudo-attempt to "balance" the shield, but when you consider vs beholders that are killing themselves your STR is as irrelevant to that battle as your CHA, and don't try to get me to believe you would bother equipping this shield any other time besides against the eye tyrants.

perhaps if it had been limited to 3 (or less) uses per day with a short duration i could see it as realistic. otherwise, this looks like something some powergamer created because he was getting waxed by the floating eyeballs.

and finally... "of balduran"? yet another clue that this item "is not like the others". balduran's cloak was never used in battle. are we supposed to think that ol' baldy had a need to fight, er... slaughter, beholders/gauths/eye tyrants? it just doesn't fit into the history. if balduran had any race-specific items it would've been something more relevant, like a water elemental or sahuagin, or anti-pirate thingy.

ah well, just wanted to rant. thank you, and good night.
Old 06-12-2001, 03:14 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

*cough, cough*

Ever used the Cloak of Mirroring before? It does the exact same thing against Beholder Rays AND most ranged magic attacks. With no penalties even.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

Old 06-12-2001, 03:19 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Just as a protaganist view of things...try those so called "too strong for the game" weapons and armor in ToB.
They may have been created with the expansion in mind, since ToB is the conclusion to the story.
Just maybe.
Besides that, I never viewed any of those weapons or armor as too unbalancing. I almost always escaped within an inch of every ones' lives.
I had to cheat to get past a few foes.

------------------

Loyal guardian of the OHF
Devoted member of the Ironworks
Only member of the Elite Bodyguard to Rikard (the fool that takes the bullet)
Ertai's back-up
Memnoch's chief look-out
Member of the Ancients club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Old 06-12-2001, 03:30 PM   #4
koz-ivan
Manshoon

the only two "unbalanced" items imo are the shield o' balduran & the robe of vecna.

everything else seems legit, except maybe for the sling evelard...

the shield is kinda cheesy but in pnp i think i would have choked the life outtta the dm for putting beholders in every dungeon, i would have prefered beholders being more powerful boss type monsters and no shield, rather than an every time i turn around type monster.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:49 PM   #5
skier9205
Manshoon

I don't think the weapons are "too good for the game." The game is meant to have fun and the only place that I really needed the shield of balduran was during the cult of the eyeless quest. It's not one of those things I would keep equipped during the entire game. Also, it's only a game and it's meant for people to have fun, and to actually get through the game, so if adding a few bonus items is going to let people have a little bit more fun, why complain?
Old 06-12-2001, 07:31 PM   #6
Glycerine
Manshoon

The shield doesn't do jack against an Elder Orb's Imprison attack. The only thing that it helps with is the constant barrage of Cause Serious Wounds.

Glycerine
Old 06-12-2001, 07:54 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Glycerine:
The shield doesn't do jack against an Elder Orb's Imprison attack. The only thing that it helps with is the constant barrage of Cause Serious Wounds.
Glycerine
Well... ...
There had to be a catch right?

Kidding aside, if you equip either the shield or cloak, and get a cleric to cast Chaotic Command on you can literally moon all Beholders in the game. Try it! It's good for a laugh, take off your armour, keep your rings in a gem bag, remove your helm and unfurl your hair, throw your weapons to the ground, whip off your belt, take off your shoes, and walk up to any Beholder and fight it with your fists.

Chances are, you will win 99.9999~~% of the time. Just note that they can still bite you.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

Old 06-12-2001, 09:03 PM   #8
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

Tob, we will need all of the help we can get

SPOILER!!!!
against DemoBabboonButt.

------------------
Will the real cheesy lich stop using timestop, stop using time stop, YEAH BABY! :1diablo:

Old 06-12-2001, 09:26 PM   #9
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I don't think it will do much good against Demogorgon, as he isn't a beholder.

------------------
"...and that's the
bottom line, 'cause Robert the Bard says so!"
Robert the Bard TLH
Old 06-13-2001, 08:18 AM   #10
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Why is the robe of vecna cheese? It does have some nice abilities, but nothing too over the top (unless I've missed something).

I've played through unseeing eye twice by giving the Shield to Keldorn (that STR penalty does make a difference - you don't want to keep it equipped all the time - although it would be better with only a -1 AC bonus (IIRC it's -3)). First time around the Beholders did kill themselves, but last time I tried they didn't get wounded by their own rays. Keldorn had to smack repeatedly with Daystar. Anyone know why?