Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-18-2001, 11:26 AM   #31
Bleys
Dungeon Master

If a someone on Earth could cast magic all depends on how you define magic. Is is a power you are born with, or is a power channled from the land, or is it just a power that we all have but people on earth have forgoten it and so on.

By the way if it is going to be a compleat game what are you going to program it in?
Old 05-18-2001, 02:44 PM   #32
Link
Jack Burton

Yeah that's the main issue allright. I dunno whether to get myself some equipment, and (try to) make it myself, or work everything out, and sell it to some game producing company.
About magic. The forgetting thing is a good idea. I thought of it myself, but haven't been able to work that one out. That everyone on Earth forgot to use magic gives me a problem, when saying that the Chosen One is special. If he's special, then he should have a special ability ( like using magic). It doesn't really matter, cos i had this plan that you'd need a very special sword to kill the Upholder of Evil. You need to gather the Sword Jurin, which is devided in several pieces all over the country (kinda remembers you guys of the Equalizer, but i assure you: this idea was originated long before BG2 was released!!!!). It needs two special gems as well; that will activate the hidden, and unrevealed powers of the Sword. Those powers must come from two things: the Stones, and the person itself. If the person is the Chosen One, nothing will happen, but if he's not, he will be disintegrated by divine fire (or something like that: it would be a super thing to happen in the game, and also a good thing to get rid of one of the party members that have travelled with you to this world!!!)
So much for the sword, hope you like it and please comment on this one. Thanks!

BTW: Earthdog: any new ideas from your side are most welcome.

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 05-18-2001, 02:54 PM   #33
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Earthdog, you CAN kill a Tarrasque, but you just need to finish it off with a wish spell after chopping it into tiny pieces, and if even a piece of it the size of a grain of sand remains it will regenerate.
Old 05-18-2001, 02:54 PM   #34
BladeMaster

Hey Link look for the topic called "Monster Manual" in this forum and check out the second link I posted for a downloadable MM.

------------------

Old 05-18-2001, 03:03 PM   #35
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

http://www.forgottenrealms.dk/

Alot of good monsters here, usable for any DM tired of the PCs thinking they are unstoppable!

------------------

Larry, a Loyal Guardian of the OHF
Old 05-18-2001, 03:24 PM   #36
Melusine
Dracolisk

Link, I've read some wonderful ideas on this thread, and I would like to help you with the game as much as I can. I'm not very good on computers but I have a rich fantasy , as well as a good knowledge of English and assorted things that might come in useful (such as lore/mythology for creating a realistic world/monsters/etc)
Mail me at the_new_helen@hotmail.com, and I have MSN as well!
En ik ben Nederlands, lekker makkelijk!
Sarah

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 05-18-2001, 03:51 PM   #37
white heron
Manshoon

The sword idea is fine(a very old symbol),but i think that if its this avatars destiny to wield the sword ,first he/she must earn the responsibility to use that power ,yes? ....by means of a spirit guide/teacher who will tutor and test the avatar.Communication mainly takes place via dreams (like the Imoen/soulside dreams),or maybe more than one 'etherial' teacher?...they could impart their power/abilitys IF the avatar keeps them sweet and passes their tests(real world requirements).
.....anyway,just my thoughts on the sword thing.
Old 05-18-2001, 03:55 PM   #38
Link
Jack Burton

I appreciate all of your help, guys thanks!! And as for Melusine:
"Altijd welkom, nieuwe hulp. Ik had trouwens al langer gezien dat je Nederlands was, maar dat doet er niet toe. Hoe vind je trouwens mijn verhaal in de bar? Best wel lachen he?"
For those of you who aren't Dutch: do not, i repeat, do not try to read the sentences above, you won't understand!!! Well I hope you all like the things so far, and i'll keep all of ya informed. BTW: i trust all of your intentions with my ideas are well, i don't suspect anything, but one has to be certain of these things...

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 05-18-2001, 08:54 PM   #39
Bleys
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Yeah that's the main issue allright. I dunno whether to get myself some equipment, and (try to) make it myself, or work everything out, and sell it to some game producing company.

If you are thinking of programming it your self here are some programs languages that are designed for game programming:

http://www.div-arena.com/
This is a language made just for programming sprite based games, it is easy to use this is for the English, but I think there is a Dutch version of it. I have been using it for a few weeks and you could make a good RPG on it.

http://www.darkbasic.com/
this is a language for 3d games, I have not really used it but it seems quite simple to use.
Both have demos to download.

Also there are a lot of programs for making console based RPGs,
the only one I have a link for is the Official Hamster Republic RPG Construction Engine it's only in it beta stage but it might worth a look:
http://hamsterrepublic.com/html/ohrrpgce.html
Also take a look at Dungeon Craft it should be a link on the ironworks page. It looks quite good.

As for the sword, give it a mind of it's own. That always makes things fun.

Old 05-19-2001, 03:24 AM   #40
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Link I think the Forgetting is a very good idea. Youll have to work it out as to who and how the Hero is trained to regain the magic ability. you could make it to where this is really the first quest or just an early one. Once the Hero gains the use of magic it will give say the "tribal elders" a strong insight to the fact that he really is the The Chosen One. Now If he has his 2 friends go through the portal with him they could also learn the same thing of you could have to do Quests for them to also receive abilities. One could be a cleric and the other a theif or something like that. or just highly skilled fighters. vary they quests that they can undertake and you allow the user to change things up.

I think this could be like a family tree type thing. Theres the first Branch and what the user decides to do with his first character in a way manipulates what the others can do. If the main character decides to undertake the mage quest then that eliminates the possibility that other others can do it too. one would then be able to learn the art of the druids for example. or clerics. or theives. if you include some bg2 type classes 3 guys with the ability to choose what they become would really make the game replayable.

If the user changes one thing on the tree it changes the game entirely from that point on. Maybe not drasticly but enough so that you can really never play the exact same game twice. This is the really difficult thing to decide on. its not like bg2 where you decide what you are BEFORE you go through the portal. The PC has to BECOME what will shape his destiny.

Then of course, you can also add the types of NPC's that you need to balance out the party. Maybe even add instructors that will accompany the party t okeep them alive long enough to get to where they can survive and then say " Ive taught you all i can. My time with you has come to an End." Only to have these instructors rejoin the group near the final battle. Is one a traitor?? Did he really teach his pupil everything he knew???? My bet is that he didnt. But the pupil learned some tricks that hadnt occured to the instructor/ traitor. Hero wins. and gains more power for killing the instructor.

You could play with this idea forever. Dont be in a rush to get it done. Any writer will tell you that it takes almost as long to outline the story as it does to actually write it. Keep in mind that if you rush it you will surely screw up and leave something out. but by the same token if you try to do too much detail you can still screw it up just as bad.

Look at the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It could have been a really good story but he spent too much time describing Guiled this and Guilded that, He even talk about how they had Guilded fish at an inn one night. i dont think he knows that guilded means Decorated with gold trim, basiclly. So they had gold laced Fish??????? gimme a break. he got too caught up in describing crap and forget about telling the story. Who really cares if there is gold enamel on a door??? whats the story line Mr Jordan??? duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oooops sorry kind of got away from me there LOL anyway Link get back to me on thar and let me know what you think. take it easy.