Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 03-11-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
komo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i've been playing the original NWN up to Bard 6 / Fighter 1 / Rogue 1 using a half-elf, and now i'm planning to level up on rogue to bet 6/1/2.

My questions are:
1) I've read that half-elves don't have favored class so they don't suffer from xp penalty. Is that also true for "triplet" multiclass like i have?
2) Is a Bard 6 / Fighter 1 / Rogue 1 the same as Bard 6/Rogue 2/ Fighter 2??
or are there some differences??

Thanks a lot
Old 03-11-2005, 11:55 PM   #2
deadmoney
Dungeon Master

Hello. I'm not one of the gurus by any means but my understanding of the xp penalty is this: Half-elf, like human, get one "free" class meaning their highest level class doesn't count against them. Using your triplet plan, the bard class doesn't hurt them. To avoid the penalty, you have to keep the rogue and fighter classes within a level of each other. So, 6/1/1 is OK. 6/2/1 is OK. 6/3/1 would make you take the penalty (because of the 3 and 1). Does that make sense or clear as mud?

Regarding your second question, I'm not sure what you mean. 6/1/1 is different from 6/2/2 because you have two more levels/skills/etc. I don't know what else you're getting at (then again, its late and I should be sleeping).

Hope this helps a little. Wait a little longer and the pros will fully answer your questions. . .
deadmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:50 AM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Pretty much, Deadmoney is dead on on the first question. So long as you keep the fighter/rogue lvls close together, read as within one, you should be fine.
As for your second question; I'm not sure what your asking, but I'll say that there would be major differences between the two. Firstly, your Attack base would be higher in the 6/2/2 set, due to more lvls, and you would have several more skill points than at 6/1/1. If this doesn't answer your question, please try to clarify it a little more. Welcome to Ironworks, hope we can help ya out.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
komo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks a lot for the info, but it seems that i have some mistypings on my second question. What i really meant to ask is:
Whether a Bard 6/Fighter 1/Rogue 2 is just the same as Bard 6/Rogue 2/Fighter 1 ?

In other words, when you said that i have to keep the fighter/rogue level close together, do you mean it's okay that i have them at Fighter 1/Rogue 2 (i.e. the third class is higher than the second) ??

Thanks
Old 03-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
deadmoney
Dungeon Master

Yes, the order shouldn't matter just as long as your two "nonfavored" classes are within one level of each other. Just FYI, other races have favored classes (ie: half-orcs are barbarians so barbarian levels don't count). Human and half-elves can be any favored class (hence your bard levels don't count at all). If you, for some reason, decided you wanted a half-orc bard/fighter/rogue, ALL of those classes would have to be within 1 level of each other. Can't imagine a half-orc singing and reciting poety well though. . .
deadmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:09 AM   #6
komo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks a lot, now i can have my 6/1/2 bard recovering traps for more gold. LOL